Internet Explorer 6 will not install

Edith 07:57 28 Aug 03

Downloaded IE 6 from MS via critical updates but am receiving a message that it has not installed. Have tried numerous times to achieve this. It gets as far as 91% then stops and says "unable to complete installlation". Running windows ME. Can anyone help?

feb 10:47 28 Aug 03

I had this problem, I found the easiest way was to install it from a cover CD from PCA

Edith 11:51 28 Aug 03

feb - tried that but no luck. Keep getting the message that there is a verion of IE 6 waiting to complete. When I try and resume the set up proceedure this gets as far as 91% but then fails. Tried loading IE 6 from PC Advisor disc but it sees the previous version and says I should continue with that! I am going round in circles. Any other ideas?

feb 11:54 28 Aug 03

do a search for ie6 should be in windows update folder and delete it. at the moment your computer thinks it has ie6 installed

Tog 11:56 28 Aug 03

Is there is an option to cancel the installation before it fails?

Edith 11:59 28 Aug 03

Tog - can't really remember but i do not think so

Edith 12:01 28 Aug 03

feb do you mean delete or uninstall. As the programe doea not appear in the add remove folder in folder in the contro panel.

feb 12:07 28 Aug 03

If you do a search for "ie6setup" and delete it. That is what you have already tried to install.

Edith 12:40 28 Aug 03

feb - thanks once again but even though I deleted IE6 from the windows update file I am still unable to load IE6 from the PC Advisor disc. My computer still continues to state that there is an incomplete setup process. Although I click on it, it gets as far as last time (91%) and then states it is unable to continue. Tried loading IE6 from the critical MS critical update site but it also "sees" the previous copy and advises me to run setup again! So I go round and round in a cirles. Any other suggestions?

Mallorca 12:45 28 Aug 03

For what its worth I had exactly the same problem and never did get it to work. After repeated tries at installation my Win-Me opsys was trashed and with difficulty I recovered it to a 95% working status (file search and various other panels did not work properly). Discussion with others and various forum entries showed this difficulty with IE6 on Win-Me to be fairly common. Some solved it by doing a completely clean install of Win-Me (format C-drive, re-install Win-Me etc). I eventually moved to XP and that solved it.

feb 12:54 28 Aug 03

sorry about that thought it would have worked.
I don't know if you've tried here: click here;EN-US;IE6Setup follow the links, let me know how it goes!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…