Internet Explorer 6/ Re-setting Home Page

kwil2 00:01 19 Apr 04

I normally have Google as my home page, but for some reason, it's changed to 'about:blank'.
I've tried altering it through Options etc but it still reverts to blank.
In the Registry, I modified Current User> Microsoft>Start Page to Google - but still it persists as blank.
I've tried using Default too, but same result.
Can someone please help me to sort this out?
Regards

johnnyrocker 00:04 19 Apr 04

go to downloads section of this site get adaware/spybot/spywareblaster update and run it would help if you state your os. should sort your problem.

johnny.

Diodorus Siculus 00:05 19 Apr 04

Might be worth a check for spyware: click here
Lavasoft click here
Spybot-S&D click here
CWS

johnnyrocker 00:20 19 Apr 04

thought i said that guv;)

johnny.

kwil2 03:42 22 Apr 04

Thanks for the comments but I've already got Ad-Aware and it detects the above spyware. Removing CWS in the normal way doesn't seem to work as it reappears every time as 'about:blank'. Trying to delete all refs in the Registry only results in one successful 'pass', then it reverts to 'about: blank' and presents a harmless standard catalogue of sites.
Spybot, by all accounts, suffers the same result.
The Ad-Aware user forums show that the problem is still persisting and nobody yet has a solution
On principle, I resent all spyware and particularly this kind of 'your system is my system' spyware that can only have been compiled and sent for financial gain.
Perhaps it's time for the techies at PCADVISOR to lance this boil once and for all! If the creeps at CWS can do this, what else can they insinuate into systems??
Regards

Meshuga 06:44 22 Apr 04

Hi kwil2. Using your browser search for google and when U get the page on screen click Tools then Int options then general. Click on "Current Page" tab then click on apply. Should be ok then. Meshuga.

Meshuga 06:48 22 Apr 04

kwil2. Sorry, just realised U said you had done this but it always works ok for me provided you click apply at the end. Meshuga.

muppetmark 07:55 22 Apr 04

Have you got the latest version of CWShredder, are you selecting FIX when running shredder ?

Have a look at click here
variant 35 for more information.

muppetmark 08:10 22 Apr 04

Also see variant 38

kwil2 01:17 23 Apr 04

Have d/l CWShredder, but again it worked only once, only to have CWS reappear!
However, I found a program called 'Hijack This', a link from CWShredder site
This too seemed to cure the problem,but only after one pass, then.....grrrrrr
I'm running XP Home including SP1
Since Google is my home page of choice, I've therefore decided enough is enough and copied a link from Favorites and placed it into Quick Launch bar
In other words,I don't touch the IE Explorer icon because I know what will happen...These creeps need to be caught and hammered!!

muppetmark 06:53 23 Apr 04

try running CWShredder in safe mode, this may fix it. How many user accounts on the system ? You may have to run shredder in each account.
See this forum click here
paste your hijackthis log into a post, where it can be checked, you could possibly have a new variant, your posting could help in beating it :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…