Internet Explorer 6 has vanished

sea urchin 16:19 16 May 07

At the weekend a scan with A-Squared detected and removed a Trojan from my Internet files (stupidly I didn't take note of the name). I discovered that my browser (IE6) had disappeared, although it is still showing in Add/Remove programs. Clicking on Repair displays the message "Internet Explorer could not be repaired. Please run Setup again to reinstall all components".

So back to square one, because I had already tried reinstalling, both from disk and from the web. It takes two seconds to load the files (suggesting it thinks they are already present, and goes into setup. A short while after accepting the Agreement I get the message "Setup was unable to install all the components. Please close all applications and try running Setup again" The Help button reveals "It appears you have the correct Setup files, but the installation failed. Try closing down all other programs and try running setup again".

My system is Windows98SE. I really need some way to uninstall what is left of IE6 so that I can reinstall, but I'm not aware how that can be done. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

PS I'm using Firefox at present which I find very good, but sadly some of the websites I use insist on having IE.

jay.p 16:33 16 May 07

i would try searching for i.e 6 in start and search and then deleting manually any i.e6 references before reinstalling.

Sea Urchin 16:48 16 May 07

Thanks jay.p I'll give it a go and report back later

Sea Urchin 18:14 16 May 07

Having deleted references to IE6 the setup now runs to the end OK but says not fully installed - the internet connection wizard did not install. It has also not placed a shortcut icon on the desktop as normal.

I would assume the internet connection wizard is only used for setting up a new ISP connection. However, although everything else seems to have installed I still can't access IE6.

At a loss as to what to do next.

birdface 18:47 16 May 07

Run this,if it shows up,Delete it and leave the rest.click here then try and instal IE6 again.

Sea Urchin 19:12 16 May 07

Thanks buteman - I don't seem able to run this at the moment - it's showing an error. I have to go out this evening, but will come back to it tomorrow and report then.

Thanks again

Sea Urchin 16:07 17 May 07

for your suggestion to run windows installer cleanup utility. Sadly however when I try to run it I get a dialog box entitled Windows Scripting Host - Script Execution Error. It reads as follows

Script: C:\\WINDOWS\TEMP\IXP000.TMP\StartMsi.vbs

Line No: 2 Column: 0

Category: Microsoft VBS Script runtime error

Description: ActiveX component can't create object: 'WScript.Shell'

Hopefully that IXP doesn't refer to ops XP as I am using Win98SE

However, I notice that CCleaner has a tool which would appear to be able to uninstall IE6. I thought I might run that - then run CCleaner to mop up - and then try to reinstall IE6 yet again. Any thoughts?

skidzy 16:17 17 May 07

Try this to repair IE6 click here

Sea Urchin 16:26 17 May 07

Thanks Skidzy will try that

Sea Urchin 17:15 17 May 07

Having downloaded the VB runtime program and the IEfix I then cannot run it. I get:

Internet Explorer Fix

Runtime error 429

ActiveX component can't create object

Similar to my previous fault

I think I'll try the uninstalling from CCleaner as in my previous posting - can't be any worse!!! But I will wait a while to see if anybody has other better suggestions. Thank you all

birdface 18:13 17 May 07

Have you tried system Restore, Restore to a date before you got the trojan,And see if that works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…