Internet Explorer 6 does not work with ZoneAlarm 3

hndrk 11:17 23 Jan 03
  hndrk 11:17 23 Jan 03

I have installed Internet Explorer 6 and ZoneAlarm 3, both from PC Advisor cover disks, on a PC running Windows 98SE and IE can't retrieve anything from the web with ZoneAlarm active. It has the same permissions to operate showing in the control centre as Netscape Navigator 7, which works fine. When I switch off ZoneAlarm, IE can 'see' the web again.
Wot's going on?

MartinT-B 12:02 23 Jan 03

I don't know exactly BUT

I have Zone Alarm version 3.1.395 and IE version 6.00.2800.1106 and they both work perfectly.

Having said that, they were both downloaded direct from the supplier IE from Windows update and Zone alarm from click here

Try and re-install!

Gongoozler 13:25 23 Jan 03

I am using ZoneAlarm version 3.1.291 with Windows 98se with no problems, but I know that some versions of ZoneAlarm have problems with Windows 98se in some configurations.

I have just found that there is a ZonAlarm users forum here click here

fudge 13:56 23 Jan 03

I had Zone Alarm running fine for ages but when I downloaded version 3.0 it caused all sorts of problems. I eventually gave up and downloaded Sygate Personal Firewall, which is just as good as ZA and is also free! click here

hndrk 16:01 23 Jan 03

I found IE couldn't access the web with ZoneAlarm 3.1.291 active. I reinstalled IE -- to no effect. I downloaded ZA 3.1.395 and when I tried to install it over the existing copy of ZA, I got a weird message saying 2 installers were running!
I uninstalled ZA 3.1.291 completely, installed the later version and re-configured it with the programs permissions which the earlier version had. When I tried IE, I got a pop-up from ZA asking if I wanted to give IE access to the web, even though I'd already told the program to do just that.
I can only conclude that somewhere, ZA had filed an order to keep IE off the web and it was only a radical removal of the program and reinstalling it that cleared the blockage.
But hey, anything you get for nothing is worth it, right?
I hope this saga proves useful to other PC sufferers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…