Internet Explorer 6

Sparkly 17:05 03 Sep 06

Hi

A friend of mine is haveing probs with i.e some sites that she goes to now i.e. returns the page "cannot find server" it does not do this on every site but it seems to be with the sites that she has used quite reguarly in the past. As an example when on ebay she goes to pay for am item it comes up "cannot find server" allso when she goes to do the online shopping at tesco's. I have set the firewall to allow all access and droped the security down to normal,allso downloaded the new version of I.E but the problem remains this all stared when her son uninsalled Norton internet security 2005 and went across to AVG i think. Any ideas.

Thanks.

citadel 17:16 03 Sep 06

did he uninstall norton correctly according to the symantec intsructions. there may be things left over.

johnnyrocker 17:22 03 Sep 06

system restore and delete correctly?

johnny.

VoG II 17:42 03 Sep 06
  Gizmocat 18:24 03 Sep 06

I have exactly the same problem as your friend.

Mine too following uninstall of NIS 2005 a few months ago.

I have tried 'click here' posted by VOG but this returns page ' cannot find server'!

I did try and get help/surfed for hours in an effort to solve the problem but have given up. Interestingly Symantec.com is one of the sites (which doesnt bother me) but an important one is Microsoft support pages which does!!

skidzy 19:14 03 Sep 06

Try Firefox browser as an alterantive for now.click here

New version of IE,is this the beta 7 version.If so,maybe rolling back to IE 6 via add and remove programs and then try a repair of IE 6 click here

Sparkly 19:17 03 Sep 06

Thanks guys for all your responces and i will try your suggestion vog when i am at her pc next.

Sparkly 19:21 03 Sep 06

Nice one skidzy that sounds hopefull cheers.

kdt 10:01 04 Sep 06

probably some files got corrupted during the uninstall. i would suggest before trying new browsers/other methods if you have original windows disc to check system files as follows:
go to START select RUN in the open field type
sfc /scannow....note there is space between sfc and scannow....select OK...follow the prompts through the SYSTEM FILE CHECKER process....REBOOT computer when SFC completes.
this way you will repair all your files. it may take some time depending on your processor speed but worth it as i found out when my desktop and laptop both had problems with IE6 and i was tempted to try firefox/IE7 beta but was successful with the procedure outlined

Sparkly 12:10 04 Sep 06

Thanks kdt i have plenty of options now, fingers crossed.
Thanks to all for the replys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac