Internet Explorer

SLIMMERTIF 09:07 12 Jul 05

Its vanished!

The only way I can access the internet is through Firefox. For some reason IE has totally vanished. The icon is there, but when I click or double click, the arrow changes for a split second and then nothing appears.

I need to run IE as I do business internet banking, and can only do it with a security certificate that I had to download, and it will only open in IE.

How do I get it back!!

Thanks guys

ps...I am running XP and as far as I am aware the updates are dl automatically. Also running NAV which is up to date, along with Adaware and Crap cleaner.

mattyc_92 09:08 12 Jul 05

Is the IE icon showing on the "Start" menu?

howard60 09:10 12 Jul 05

have you tried system restore to go back to when all was well?

mattyc_92 09:11 12 Jul 05

You could try a repair click here

SLIMMERTIF 10:04 12 Jul 05

Mattyc_92
Yes - the icon is showing under the start menu.

Howard60
No, I have never used the system restore, I don't think it has been enabled....

Mattyc_90
Am trying the link you sent for the repair, but it keeps asking for the XP Disk - as I don't have it (the system was purchased with the XP on a partition, as is the case nowadays!)

Wak 10:16 12 Jul 05

Could you re-install IE 6.0 from a magazine disc??

And then do all the updates later??

Eastender 10:52 12 Jul 05

Have you tried opening IE from the 'Progam Files'?

My Computer > C Drive > Program Files > Internet Explorer and double click on iexplorer.exe

If this works then just make a new shortcut.

howard60 11:03 12 Jul 05

have a look at system restore - right click my computer and properties. Roughly the top left hand tab is system restore and with luck it will be on as default. If so you can use it to go back in time. On of the better things in windows ME and XP.

howard60 11:05 12 Jul 05

meant one of the better things. To get it to run go to start - progs - accessories - system tools - system restore.

SLIMMERTIF 11:51 12 Jul 05

Yippee!!

Thanks for all your help. Restore worked and I am back to normal. No idea what caused the problem!!

SLIMMERTIF 19:06 12 Jul 05

Returned from work - computer has gone into sleep mode - give the mouse a quick wiggle, try IE - and its gone again.

Can see I am going to have to do some serious digging to find out what is going on!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…