Internet Exploere Vanished!!

SLIMMERTIF 08:35 21 Feb 05

Hi there,

I have a friend who knows not agret dal about computers, and in his wisdom asked for my help! Big mistake this time. His main problem was with Outlook express, and he felt McAfee. To cut to the chase, I ended up on the NTL helpline. The guy was extremely helpful, and following his instructions, I managed to get OE up and running properly. However to achieve this I went to the Control Panel - add/ remove windows components, and removed OE. Then dl and restarted. Internet explorer is not there any more. He can only access the internet by going to Run and typing in the command prompt ieeplorer - and then he is ok. Seeing as itwas my fault.... How can I get IE back as the default browser, so all he has to do is click on it?

Any help would be very gratefully received!!

Cheers.

ps his system was only purchased brand new 5 months ago, not sure of his exact setup memory etc, but it is running XP, and he does not have an installation disk. Sorry for the lack of info.....

rawprawn 08:38 21 Feb 05

Go back into Control Panel / Add or remove Windows Components and tick Internet Explorer themn click next. You will need your XP Disc (Assuming your OS is XP)

Go back into Control Panel / Add or remove Windows Components and tick Internet Explorer themn click next. You will need your XP Disc (Assuming your OS is XP)

Bouncy fingers this morning.

SLIMMERTIF 12:51 21 Feb 05

Thanks- going to have ago at trying this - but I don't think he has an XP installation disk - just a recovery partition. Watch this space- and thanks for your prompt help

FelixTCat 13:48 21 Feb 05

If he can access it from Run then the program is still there - it is only the icon that is missing.

Is the icon still on the Quick Launch toolbar? You can copy it to the desktop.

If not, in the short term, go to c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and create a shortcut of iexplore.exe on the desktop.

Then download TweakUI from click here

Install it, run it and go to the Desktop tag. Tick the box beside Internet Explorer to restore it to the desktop. You can then delete the IE shortcut if you wish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…