Internet drops & my pc

LordOffal 13:42 24 Jan 15

Sorry this is going to be a bit of a story to start with.

Basically for the last few years my internet connection has been rather poor with random but frequent drops. This has been hard to take into account since I have been a student and therefore not one place for too long. When I have been at home my internet is patchy but after have noticed it is a whole lot more regular. During my university days it was a mixed bag with the final years being terribly unreliable constantly.

I am starting to question whether my computer is, at least currently, responsible. For the last 5 years I have had the same computer however very few parts are the same anymore since I am an avid gamer and things need to be replaced. The only things that are the same are the cd-drive and the hard-drive with everything else having been gutted at some point and replaced. Is it possible that my computer has been infected and sometimes "attacks" my router and turns it off and if so would replacing the hard-drive with a new one solve this issue? I have always been pretty careful on the internet and am pretty obsessed with protection (to the point people find using my pc annoying) so I have doubted that it was but wanted to ask others if it was possible.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:27 24 Jan 15

Is it possible that my computer has been infected and sometimes "attacks" my router and turns it off and if so would replacing the hard-drive with a new one solve this issue?

I doubt it.

Bad connections and drop outs can be down to many things too many people using the same wireless channel is the likely cause for students living in close proximity.

1. Poor wiring to extensions / bad filters / old routers

2. faults on the line external to your dwelling.

3. Out of date drivers / poor NIC cards / wireless cards etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009