internet drop out

Hucky 09:52 22 Dec 07

hi...i have a 2nd pc connected to another pc which the internet conects to...i am having trouble with the connection as it keeps dropping out on my 2nd pc..i have a router connected with an ethernet cable and i am using xp ta

ambra4 15:15 22 Dec 07

Not to sure what you trying to say

Just connect both pc to the router on port 1 & 2 via an Ethernet cables

And check the Lan card setting is correct on both pc

Network Adapter Setup on the Computer

Also called a LAN card (Local Area Network) or NIC card (Network Interface Connection)
1. Click “Start”, “Settings” Network Connection
2. Double-click on the “Network Connection
3. Left-click on the “Local Area Connection” associated with your network adapter
Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
4. In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window all boxes should be ticked
Tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected,
An Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup
5. Click “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” Click the “Properties” button
6. Select “Obtain an IP address automatically
7. Select “Obtain DNS server address automatically”
Do Not Change Any Other Setting
8. Click “OK”.
Your computer network card is now configured for use with the Modem/Router

Other Lan Card Setting

Right click on Local Area Connection Display Icon on task bar
Click Status-General-Properties
At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed
Click Configure-Click-Advanced Tab
Click- Flow Control-Change to Enabled if Disabled
Click-Power Management Tab
Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

Web Browser Settings

Internet Explorer 4.0 or Higher
1. Start your web browser. Select “Tools” then “Internet Options”.
2. In the “Internet Options” screen, there are three selections:
“Never dial a connection”,
“Dial whenever a network connection is not present”
“Always dial my default connection”.
If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”.
If you cannot make a selection, go to the next step.
3. Under the “Internet Options” screen, click on “Connections” and select “LAN Settings”
4. Make sure there are no check marks next to any of the displayed Options:

Network Connection Setting

Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard-next-Connect to the Internet
Next-Set Up My Connection Manually-next-Click Connect using a broadband connection that is always on next Finish

Border View 17:14 22 Dec 07

Dont know about hucky but your posting is a fantastic piece of information. I have printed it off ready for when I set up a network with my other computer.

Thanks

Hucky 17:20 22 Dec 07

i agree crackin info!!

gibbbsy07 16:12 28 Dec 07

Hi ambra4 i got my modem from talk talk, it has talk talk broadband written on top of it, it is a sagem FAST OR [email protected] 800 E3, when i first got the internet,they sent me out the modem and all the necesary filters,but i was also given a private user name and password, and a start up cd, i followed the cd step by step then my internet was connected, but my internet has always had to dial out, when it disconects there is a box that appears with my current username and password, i click on the dial button, it dials then i am connected, thats it.

Say for instance windows has to do a security update and after this update it has to do an automatic,restart for the update to take effect,as soon as my computer restarts the internet connection is dropped and that is when the dial comes into it, and that is why i have set my computer to dial so many times, and this has always been the case.

ambra4 17:46 28 Dec 07

Hucky

Just disregard the posting from gibbbsy07 posted to the wrong thread

Best wishes and a happy new year

65click 13:52 20 Feb 08

I am not sure which query you have answered; mine or 'HUCKY'.

I have printed out your comprehensive instructions and have followed them as close as I can. Some of the link names you are asking me to follow vary from what is on my Laptop.

Just in case you did not understand what I said.

I use my PC via a wired connection. the PC is not well and at the shop. I have a laptop to use while it is away.

I can use it via the wireless link, but would prefer to use it wired.

I use XP Pro/ My Laptop is a Toshiba - around 5 years old).

The settings seem OK to me but I can open up the wired connection but it fails to connect (limited connectivity) producing the error I have quoted.

I must admit to not fully understanding your advice, and certainly the link names clashes encourage doubt. Anyhow; still no wired connection for the laptop after following your advice.

Many thanks; apologies for my lach of tech' expertise.

RobCharles1981 19:06 20 Feb 08

Hi I'm having a spot of bother Windows Live Messenger wouldn't sign in properly so I uninstalled and reinstalled the program trouble is it fails to install properly via the Windows Live Installer.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Rob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…