Internet download speed

Craig22 11:40 31 Mar 04

I can't get Broadband so use a dial-up 56k modem. Whenever I download something it runs at about 1.5 kbps. Is this normal? I assumed a 56k modem would allow data transfer at 56 kbps.

Yesterday it took over 3 hours to download a driver update of around 20 mb.

Diodorus Siculus 11:45 31 Mar 04

1.5kb/s is slow, but it will depend on various conditions: the quality of the line, the server from which you are downloading and so on. Generally speaking about 4 to 5kb /s is about average for a 56k modem.

Are all downloads this slow?

dagwoood 11:52 31 Mar 04

Your modem speed is 56000 kilo bits but downloads are measured in kilo bytes. There are 8 bits to a byte, so if you divide 56000 by 8 this gives you the maximum possible download rate(7 kilo bytes per second).

Due to different factors you never get this sort of download speed(i.e.quality of phone connection, how busy the net is, how busy the server you're downloading from), but from what other forum members have posted you should typically be getting a download speed of 5 to 5.5 kilobytes per second.

For whatever reason your connection seems very slow.

Hope this helps, dagwoood.

Peter 11:59 31 Mar 04

As dagwoood writes, the 56k is in kilo bits, but because of check bits, etc. the division should be by 10, not 8, giving a theroetical maximum of 5.6K/second. Line conditions and network busyness will reduce this, but 3 - 4.5k/sec is quite normal.

Peter.

Old Shep 12:01 31 Mar 04

Like you I cannot get Broadband either. I used to suffer from slow download speeds and tried all sorts of accelorators to no availe. However I now use Opera click here an alternative web browser which comes with its own download accelorator built in. I now get around 4/5kbs maybe worth a try.

pj123 12:04 31 Mar 04

I am on Broadband but I still keep a dialup account for emergencies (if BB goes down). Using dialup I used to get between 4.7 and 6kbs average speed. I found if it dropped below 2 (as Diodorus Siculus says it depends on many factors) I cancelled it and tried it again later (mostly late at night). Fortunately, my BB teething problems have now all been sorted out and I haven't had to use the dialup connection for some time. I remember seeing an Ad recently about wireless broadband available anywhere. But it probably costs a bomb. Try typing wireless broadband into Google and see what you get.

Any of these may speed things up a little. There are loads of free Download Managers at click here

Don't use Download Accelarator Plus - IT'S SPYWARE!

anchor 12:46 31 Mar 04

I am now on broadband. When I used ordinary 56k I used to get anything from 3.3 to 4.5kbs, depending on the download site. Try a speed test here:

click here

Do you have a DAX phone line?. Read here:

click here

With regard to download managers, I use Download Express; free, and no spyware. Useful, to resume broken downloads, but I doubt it will speed things up much.

click here

SANTOS7 13:44 31 Mar 04

Hi craig, Give your phone company a ring and ask them for a line test which is free, and ask them to turn the GAIN up for for your phone line also free,this will help with your dial up and should increase your download speeds as Dagwood has sugested nearer 5-6kbs good luck [email protected]

anchor 13:57 31 Mar 04

The stock answer when someone complains to BT about slow internet speed is, from BT is “We are only contractually obliged to provide voice communication”.

They are still living in the pre 1990`s.

Can you get cable in your area?, that might solve the problem.

SANTOS7 14:02 31 Mar 04

I agree with that BT can be a bit naff, but if you don't tell them its internet related just say its phone related like i did it didn't seem to be a problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…