Internet disconnects with DG834GT

John Ross 20:45 21 Feb 06

Whenmy ethernet / Wireless router is working OK, then its great, but after a while it loses the internet connection and the only reasonably reliable wa of getting it back again is to switch the router on and off. Even this does not work sometimes.
the problem is both with the main ethernet connected computer and those wireless connected.
the latest firmware hasn't solved the problem.
any suggestions?
Thanks!

keewaa 21:20 21 Feb 06

What Isp are you with? If it is AOL change the router MTU to 1400, if not try it anyway.

I think the most likely cause is the adsl signal. Is everything microfiltered using good quality microfilters, telephones, faxes, ans machines, alarm, sky ?

Is there any DIY telephone cabling, you could try it back at the BT mastersocket to rule out cabling within the house.

John Ross 21:29 21 Feb 06

I am with BT Broadband. There wasn't a problem when using a simple BT Broadband Modem. Very occasionally the connection might disconnect, but would automatically reconnect immediately.

It is not so much the fact of the disconnection : it is the fact that reconnecting can be so awkward. Is there a better way than switching on and off the router? This is a pain if I am elsewhere in the house, and as I say, even this sometimes doesn't work.
Why is the router is so stubborn to reconnect to the Internet?

keewaa 21:38 21 Feb 06

Anything not microfiltered will cause problems, poor adsl signal will cause problems, poor wiring will cause problems, it's a case of slowly eliminating things.

sneakerman 10:38 22 Feb 06

A friend of mine had a similiar problem last weekend and the resolution was to upgrade the firmware from 1.01.28 to 1.01.30. I only found 1.01.30 with a bit of searching, 1.02.04 is available from netgear.co.uk
I had contacted Netgear and their solution was a reset of the router (60 seconds, first 20 with power, second 20 without power, third 20 with power) - waste of time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now