Internet disconnects

tman16 19:21 27 Sep 05

I asked my ISP AOL about this problem and they were no help so i am hoping someone can help me here, ok heres the problem:

I connect to the internet ok then after about 2 mins it just disconnects and the 2 green arrows in the task bar, bottom right, go yellow and start training, then when they are green i sign on. Then after 2 mins the same problem happens again.

Please help me

Stuartli 19:26 27 Sep 05

Are you using Internet Explorer and/or Outlook Express?

If so, check IE's Tools>Settings>Connection tab>Advanced (think that's the route, going from memory) and ensure that Disconnect when no longer needed is disabled, along with Disconnect after so many minutes (can be set up to 20 minutes or Never).

In OE, check that Hang Up after Collecting (or similar) on the e-mail Send/Receive panel is disabled.

Stuartli 19:27 27 Sep 05

IE should also be checked to ensure that Always Dial My Default Connection (AOL) is Enabled (OE uses the same configuration).

tman16 19:28 27 Sep 05

Yes iam using Internet explorer and those solutions you gave didnt help. thanks for trying. Do you know what else could be the problem please?

Graham ® 19:37 27 Sep 05

Is this broadband?

Graham ® 19:46 27 Sep 05

Common causes of Broadband disconnections:

USB modem may not be getting sufficient power. The modem requires 500mA to function correctly. That is the maximum available on a USB hub. As a hub normally has two ports, the second port must not be used concurrently. The modem must be connected directly to the computer, not via an external hub.

The computer may be configured to turn off the modem to save power. In Device Manager, find the modem. It may be under Network adapters. Select Action, Properties, Power Management. Do a similar check on any Routers you are using.

Phone extension cabling may be prone to induced interference from mains wiring. If necessary, run a temporary extension lead to rule this out.

Radio interference from cordless, including DECT, telephones. Turn them all off and disconnect, to check this one.

Radio interference from taxis, CBs, neon lights, streetlights, etc. If one of these is suspected, BT can fit a suppressor to the incoming line.

There may be a clue in Event Viewer. Start > right click My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > System > Select an Event > Action > Properties. You can send the data to Microsoft for more detailed information.

Methedrine 19:54 27 Sep 05

Are you using a BT Voyager modem?

Are you using the modem through an extension lead or an adapter?

Try plugging your micro filter directly into your BT socket and plug the modem into the micro filter.
Does this cure the problem? If it does plug the micro filter into the adapter and try again. Does the same thing happen? If so, you need a new adapter.

Now try no adapter and plug the extension lead into the BT socket with the microfilter and modem at the other end. If you get the same problem, try a different extension lead.

Stuartli 20:55 27 Sep 05

I use Skype quite regularly (broadband) and a webcam at the same time using a powered USB hub.

The Sagem modem draws 400mA and the webcam 300mA. As far as I'm aware each USB port on the hub has a 500mA supply.

The power demand can be found through Device Manager>USB Serial Bus Controllers>Generic USB hub>Power tab.

Graham ® 21:11 27 Sep 05

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I've been intending to review the 'power per ports' issue. I think it may depend on the hardware in each PC.

I believe, however, other devices do have an effect on USB modems by suddenly drawing power, the result of which is a disconnection.

Stuartli 22:44 27 Sep 05

I think you may have been thinking of the basic unpowered USB hubs.

My spare USB port on the system (the powered USB hub uses the other) is reserved for an Agfa 1212u scanner which itself has a power supply.

Graham ® 08:53 28 Sep 05

This is ticked as Resolved so we don't know the cure. Microsofts verdict on USB modem power:

'The Alcatel ADSL USB modem uses 500mA as described on the click here (click here) British Telecom Web site. If another USB device that uses a lot of power is connected to the same USB hub, the Alcatel modem, another device, or both may not work. If you are still connected but cannot browse, check the lights on the Alcatel modem. Both should be green, although one light may flash intermittently during downloads. If both lights on Alcatel modem are off, attach the Alcatel modem as the only device on the USB port or hub'.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…