Internet disconnection when downloading

thumbscrew 18:27 02 Nov 10

Several times over the past couple of weeks my Talk Talk Internet connection has dropped just after I've finished downloading files. When I reboot it then comes back on. Can anyone tell me why they think this is happening? Initially I thought they may be disconnecting me because I'd reached my download limit, but as it connects as soon as I boot up,I'm thinking this may not be the case.

woodchip 18:41 02 Nov 10

Check your Browser is not set to switch off the Connection after Downloading. On mine it can be set to turn off. Think this is so you can set it to unattended Downloads

thumbscrew 18:55 02 Nov 10

Hello Woodchip and thanks....don't think it's that as I've been downloading for a couple of years and it's never done it before, however I'll check it as you suggest...can you explain how to do it?

woodchip 20:12 02 Nov 10

It depends on your what Browser you are using as they are all different. I use flock that uses firefox engine.

thumbscrew 20:22 02 Nov 10

It's Firefox, I've perused the options but can't find the one you mention.

woodchip 20:50 02 Nov 10

Try downloading a File, and look for a box while its downloading that asks if you want it shut down etc after download

thumbscrew 20:55 02 Nov 10

Ok, I'll try that thanks.

thumbscrew 21:08 02 Nov 10

All I can see is a box that states..."Auto Shutdown Disabled".

thumbscrew 21:09 02 Nov 10

Ps, I don't think that refers to the Internet connection though.

woodchip 22:17 02 Nov 10

Then it should be some where in Firefox Settings under Download.

PS also if this is a Laptop, check Device Manager to see if Networking is set to Power Saver Mode as it needs disabling if it is

thumbscrew 22:46 02 Nov 10

Thanks pal, clicking Downloads in Firefox just takes me to previously downloaded items. If you've got a moment, have a look. Anyway,thanks for your help and patience, I'll leave it at that now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced