internet disconnecting every 2 hours

sam jones 17:45 23 Oct 05

i run wanadoo dial up on win xp and ever 2 hours im disconnected from the internet and its really annoying when im working does anybody know how to stop this??????

johnnyrocker 17:50 23 Oct 05

speak to wannadoo i would suggest, i seem to remember in the earlier days a form of capping on dial up was used to spread the load, or are you using bt talk time i think it is called where you talk free for up to two hours?

johnny.

Sans le Sou 18:07 23 Oct 05

That is in your terms of service I believe, they boot you off every 2 hours same as when it was Freeserve

Sans le Sou 18:10 23 Oct 05

You have to keep your eye on the status window so you know when the heave-ho is coming, annoying but that's the way it is.

CLONNEN 18:16 23 Oct 05

2 hours is the standard cut-off time for dial-up users across all ISPs. It is so other dial-up users on the same service as you can get an internet connection. You aren't supposed to hog the ISP connection ALL the time - other users need to do stuff on the internet as well you know.

Just disconnect the internet session just before the 2 hours are up and then immediately try to reconnect. It sometimes won't let you reconnect immediately some ISPs lock you out for a certain number of minutes to allow other users to connect who have been waiting to get on.

The best time to use the internet if you are on dial-up is early in the morning (6am) before going to work.

CMC 42 18:19 23 Oct 05

When we had Tesco internet dial-up this was also the case. You could reconnect straight away though.

If you want to be on the internet all the time then the cost makes it a sensible choice to get broadband.

CLONNEN 18:19 23 Oct 05

If you need internet access ALL THE TIME you really need to upgrade to broadband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…