Internet disconnecting automatically

TommyRed 19:30 27 Nov 03

Have just moved to XP from 98SE and need some help to replace settings as they were. When I move from browsing to check e-mail the line disconnects, I've checked that the setting in OE doesn't disconnect me when I come out of OE but this appears to be working the other way. Any help, Regards TR

Sam Witch 19:42 27 Nov 03

Check dial up properties R click in network connection - there should be 5 tabs, in options there is a setting for idle time, ensure it is set to a reasonable time.

There is also an option to close connection when it may not be required, I cannot remember where that is, someone else may have that

FRANKMAC 19:46 27 Nov 03

Not sure this is exactly what you mean but it may help....
Open IE from the menu goto Tools > internet options > then select connections tab.

Select your connection from the list, then go to settings, then at the bottom of the window there is a section for connection settings, select the one most appropriate for you. (disconnect when connection may no longer be required)

A_World_Maker 20:01 27 Nov 03

If the problem exists in Outlook, then that is where it can be resolved.
Follow..... 'Tools.. Options... Mail Delivery...' look at your dial up options... the option 'Hang up when finished sending, recieving or updating' make be checked.

A_World_Maker 20:05 27 Nov 03

ooppss.. make=maybe

TommyRed 21:23 27 Nov 03

Funny but it seems to have fixed itself, maybe it was a problem with the server. Anyway I'll tick it resolved for now. Thanks TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…