Internet dial up problems

WGW 21:50 20 Feb 04

I've recently been plagued with dialer viruses which have been self loading via a Trojan, I assume.
Anyway I seem to have cleared up that problem for now but have discovered that the dial up box that usually appears when I click on the ISP icon does not now do this. I guess it's got something to do with what's been done on my PC to rid the rogue files. Is there a way to bring this back as I'm currently getting logged on through the longer process of going into the dial up network folder etc, etc.
Also my e-mail appears to have stopped coming in Outlook Express. Anybody know this problem and of a quick fix?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Eric10 22:12 20 Feb 04

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab. Select 'Always dial my default connection'. Next click the Programs tab and see if Outlook Express is selected as your Email program.

curlylad 22:12 20 Feb 04

O/S ?

gudgulf 22:23 20 Feb 04

Check that your settings are all correct--In internet explorer click on tools/internet options/connections and make sure never dial a connecion isnt checked (use always dial my default connection).

In outlook express go to tools/accounts/mail/properties/servers and check that your ISP mail server addresses are in there along with your log-in and password.
Also make sure that in tools/options/general outlook express is set as your default handler.

Its possible that removing the trojan has wiped or changed your settings.What operating system are you using? If its xp you could consider a system restore to a point before you had any problems.

cycoze 22:45 20 Feb 04

For future , Zak posted in this thread(last post on page)click here , about Dialer Control click here i dont read German , but downloaded/installed the program , its in English and very easy to understand and setup , and it works .

Keeping up to date with Windows patches , AV updates , firewall , spybot and ad-aware , is a good idea .

Diallers/dialers can be foisted on to your machine using exploits from web pages and popups (hence keep up to date with everything), they are not always the fault of viruses/trojans .

WGW 11:25 21 Feb 04

Thanks everyone.

I checked my internet options settings and they seem to be set as recommended. I notice that my home page address is not changing from C:\WINDOWS\secure.html when I attempt to do this. I don't know where this came from but I've changed other addresses many times before without any problems.

Also my mail still seems to be getting held up somewhere.

My O/S is still Windows 95 curlylad, unfortunately. Hopefully this will change very soon.

I will check that Dialer Control link out cycoze.

Jester2K 11:31 21 Feb 04

Try scanning with

Adaware click here

SpyBot click here

Update and scan with each. You must have some sort of program there which is changing this setting...

Jester2K 11:41 21 Feb 04

See also click here

Do you have up to date Anti virus?

If not get AVG Free Edition click here for free...

Jester2K 11:42 21 Feb 04

Also see this page click here

Jester2K 11:43 21 Feb 04

Scroll down and use the Manual Instructions - rather than the auto clean...

WGW 11:47 21 Feb 04

My problem with Windows 95 is that many of the best software downloads no longer run with it. I've tried and failed to run Adaware, Spybot, Zone Alarm etc.

I have been able to use Spyhunter and Outpost Firewall and they seem to have served their purpose for the timebeing but the aforementioned problems are still there at dial up and when sending/receiving mail.

Like you say Jester2K there seems to be a program still in there which is changing the setting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…