Internet Dial-up box keeps appearing on desktop

barnacarry 16:22 29 Nov 03

After booting up I keep getting the Internet dial-up box on the desktop. This has happened since upgrading to XP. any ideas?

Diodorus Siculus 16:38 29 Nov 03

Sounds as if something wants to connect.

Do you have a firewall installed? If so, tell it to ask for all applications before allowing access to the net and then on startup check what is trying to connect.

What programs start with the PC? Maybe one of them wants to connect - eg and AV program for example.

If you are concerned, get a spyware checker - eg AdAware or SpyBot Search and Destroy.

Diodorus Siculus 22:37 28 Dec 03

Any luck?

barnacarry 15:18 31 Dec 03

Hi Diodorus Siculus. Still have problem and when I connect it just goes to a blank page.

Stuartli 16:41 31 Dec 03

As Diodorus Siculus suggests you seem to have a program trying to access the net for updates etc.

You may have enabled one to check on a far more frequent basis than necessary or Outlook Express to check for e-mails.

When you have booted up and get the dialup panel, try Cont+Alt+Delete and see what programs may be listed; it could give you a clue as to which program is involved.

Stuartli 16:43 31 Dec 03

Another thought is to try checking IE's Tools>Options>Connections and see if "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" has been enabled in error instead of "Always dial my default connection."

barnacarry 16:05 02 Jan 04

Hi Guys
The freeware 'SpyBot Search and Destroy' was the culprit and has itself also now been destroyed.
Thanks for all the help.

Stuartli 17:34 02 Jan 04

You have to manually update Search and Destroy 1.2 and uninstalling it will probably cause more heartache than joy....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…