Internet DC everynight at certain times

ACOLYTE 22:18 26 May 06

I am on BT Broadband,i have gone to there 8Mb upgrade and everynight between 10/10.30 i get DC,ihave checked my pc and been in touch with BT to do a line check and everything is ok,but i still get cut off at this time i cont fathom why has anyone else had a similar thing?

Bagsey 22:29 26 May 06

I had exactly the same but it is getting better now. I have been on 8meg BB since the 9th May . It has settled down to an indicated 6.5 meg at this moment . Usually in the morning it indicates 7.5 but drops gradually during the day.It has not cut off today in fact yesterday evening was the last time it cut off. So I beleive it has something to do with the connection settling down. When did you start on 8meg. Iwas told it could take upto 10 days to settle.

ACOLYTE 22:35 26 May 06

I have been on this since april 25,before that i was on 2Mb and never got cut off all day.

Dipso 00:28 27 May 06

Do you have a router? Is it losing sync or is the connection just dropping?

ACOLYTE 11:01 27 May 06

I have a USB modem,and the connection just drops and then it has to "train" again before i can connect.

Dipso 14:48 27 May 06

Can you get the line stats from the modem? Is it one of these? click here

I'm wondering if you are on the limit with your noise margin i.e. it is around 6dB and if something that happens around 10/10.30 is causing it to drop so that it disconnects. Streetlights, central heating for example, can have this effect.

ACOLYTE 16:17 27 May 06

I have a voyager 100 modem,and according to the Bt site it isnt fully compatable with the 8Mb line,so i cant argue if i dont get the full 8Mb,i usually get between 4.5/6.5 with this modem
when it is connected,i am on the look out to uprage to a modem router when the money permits,but i can't understand why it just cuts off at the same time everynight,it may be noise but BT have checked my line and say there is no problems with it.I have run through what they have asked me to on my pc,and everthing checks out and after they discovered they could'nt help me any more i am left to think it through myself,and i have to say i cant work it out.I was wondering if they have imposed a time limit on my conn as it happens at the same time every day,i do leave the pc connected all the time and its usually around the 8/9 hour connection mark when i get cut off.

CurlyWhirly 17:15 27 May 06

As I understand it, the theory goes as follows:

Left to its own devices, when an ADSL modem is bringing the link up it will attempt to find the highest reliable line rate possible at the time, and then synchronise at that line rate.

Essentially this is based on how well the modem can hear the signal from the exchange, which is determined by how loud the received signal is and how much noise there is masking it (the Signal to Noise Ratio). The problem is that the SNR varies over time (the noise may increase and/or the line may attenuate the signal more depending on environmental conditions), and if the SNR drops significantly after the link has been established then the modem may be unable to sustain the original line rate.

Unfortunately there's a big problem with current ADSL technology in that the only way a modem/router can handle this situation is to drop the link and start all over again.

I sometimes get dropped connections in the evening but since asking my ISP to request that the default SN/R margin of 6 dB be increased to 9 dB, I haven't lost the connection in nearly 2 days.

The cause of these disconnections is extra noise on the line caused at peak times by 'crosstalk'.

Forum Editor 17:20 27 May 06

has explained the possible cause perfectly. I'm almost sure that's your problem.

ACOLYTE 17:43 27 May 06

So why has it only started since the 8Mb upgrade?
when i was on 2Mb i never got a DC at all,surly the line noise cant have increased so much just because i have gone to 8Mb.

ACOLYTE 17:47 27 May 06

P.S,
do the line check's BT do check for noise lvls on your line?,if so they could have told me that my line noise was higher than expected and told me as such.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…