internet crashing windows xp

noddy2121 15:11 07 Feb 06

Hi

I am using windows XP on my computer, it has been working fine for the past few months, and now i cant get on the internet.

When i double click internet explorer the computer crashes, the same happens when i load outlook and try to read my email.

The omputer works fine until i try and use anything that requires an internet connection.

I connect to a LAN, but my lan connectivity is fine, as i can access all shared folders on the server.

I have tried running spybot, but cannot run a system check until i update spybot, and when i try and update spybot i get the following error message.

"error retreiving update info file, socket error 10060, connection timed out"

This is a real tricky situation, can anyone please help me, all suggestions appreciated

cheers

Wayne

rmcqua 15:23 07 Feb 06

Have you tried repairing IE from control panel > add and remove programs ?

BurrWalnut 15:28 07 Feb 06

Repair IE in WinXP :-

Start, Run and type “sfc /scannow” (not the quotes but the space) and have your WinXP CD ready to put in the drive, should it be wanted. SFC will exit with no closing dialogue bu you can look in Event Viewer for any changes.

Press Man 15:35 07 Feb 06

noddy2121,
Try
click here download Winsock XP Fix 1.2 and run it. It may sort out your problem?

billyliv 17:15 07 Feb 06

Sounds like Spybot is your problem. Can you do a 'System Restore' to the earliest date?. Cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now