Internet Content Filtering - 12 - 16 Year Olds

Jester2K II 20:56 26 Jun 03

Can anyone recommend a Content Filtering programs such as NetNanny which works and is worth the download fee?

Its for a familly running Windows 98.

Whilst they suspect nothing they can't watch 24 / 7 and are aware how easy it is to be diverted to sites of an unsavory nature. They have children between 12 and 16.

They don't want to track or moniotor their children - just block p0rn and maybe violent images and swearing.

They are after recommenedations from users.

Thank you.

J2K

Litlun 20:59 26 Jun 03

Get AOL -- can't go wrong!! Also got it's own Spam filtering and AV.

No dearer than any other (good) ISP.

Jester2K II 21:03 26 Jun 03

They don't want to touch AOL - (I smiled....)

Thanks

Djohn 21:09 26 Jun 03

I'm with aol, I get more adult spam than I ever did with other ISP's. Feel sure my spam button is attracting rather than removing the stuff :o(

mammak 21:41 26 Jun 03

Jester2K II, my kid,s range from my son who is 21, my daughter 17 ( her boyfriend Arrraagh 19) and my baby only 6, they have put so much crap on my comp, it,s a wonder it,s still running, ie: kazaa ect, well the wean oh 6 has got her own comp and i vet everything she doe,s am in her face all the time, only sure way i know she,s going nowwhere i dont want her too, I did make up a fav,s list for her, ie; Barbie.com ect, that did let us breath a bit, but the sure way to make sure you kid,s dont go any where is too stay with them, it,s a pain but at least you know where they are, by the way the big one,s cant even log on without me now, their not happy but i am , it,s what you got to do to keep your kid,s safe, regard,s Mammak

Jester2K II 21:45 26 Jun 03

Cheers. I understand where you are coming from but its not really a matter of concern where they INTENTIONALLY go - it where they ACCIDENTALLY go.

Its not possible for parents to sit with the kids whilst they do homework etc on the PC. I have checked the PC for them and they don't appear to have gone anywhere naughty and they are not expected to. However even i get diverted to the odd p0rn site now and then. This is what they want to prevent!

Belatucadrus 22:59 26 Jun 03

Internet control freeware:-

Iprotectyou click here

Weblocker click here

I've never used either so can't say how good they are.

Stealth_Mode 23:19 26 Jun 03

Set their homepage as click here and disable the address bar.

I know mate you are a man of many talents.....

look at some of the things you hae created...

Can't you create something that searches through meta tag's and so blocks certain word's, thus not loading the site up?

Terrahawk 01:18 27 Jun 03

weblocker have it on the kids machine does the it does the job click here
just one thing though if you run spybot s&d it will give you klez in the list though it is actualy part of weblocker and not the klez virus so do not remove it
thats if you decide to use it of course

CHUCKLE1 05:03 27 Jun 03

I use Iprotectyou (see click here)free Version 3.06 for my pc (W98SE) and have recommended it to many others . It does all I need, blocks sites based on word filters, site name filters, etc.
Also blocks e-mails and chat room conversations based on same set of rules. IE It allows access until some thing unsavoury comes along. It is password protected, fully user customisable and gives detailed logs of why the site, etc has been blocked. Also if you want to get "techy" it will also block any ports you set up. Vast range of features. Also latest pro version blocks popups but you have to pay a small fee for it - Am considering going to pro version as I think it is well worth the money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…