internet connects when i open any microsoft files

gajo 12:53 06 Apr 04

whenever i try and load any microsoft program files the internet tries to connect; twice for each program and twice for each file. this is time consuming and pretty annoying. Also happens for deleting files and such. Can anyone tell me how to stop this please? (i'm running windows 98).

AndySD 14:29 06 Apr 04

What version of Office?

AndySD 15:15 06 Apr 04

From e-mail

"it's office 2000. i've used it several years without this problem. can't pinpoint what i've done for it to start."

It may be a dogy Active X script or even a virus.

click here and try this. Also it may be worth your while updating Office 2000 click here

clarki63 15:51 06 Apr 04

I have had the same problem on a PC that is used for connecting to the net and has no email facility.

Running windows ME.

Only started happening recently. I have norton anti-virus installed and scan all documents I load.

Have removed internet connections to stop the pop-up connection box but not much uce if you want to connect to the net!!

GaT7 15:52 06 Apr 04

You can also try a 'repair' of Office 2000 or an uninstall/reinstall (last resort). click here to learn how (if you need it). (Remember: if you go down this route & have updated Office on AndySD's advice you may have to redownload the updates again.)

Trust you've scanned for viruses & ad/spyware to eliminate these possibilities.

PS - please post all replies to this Forum.

gajo 17:05 19 Apr 04

... thanks for all your suggestions. i also checked with adaware 6.0 (lavasoft) and didn't find anything much to go on. Have decided to reformat my computer, a pain but not the end of the world (well hopefully!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…