Internet Connections for no apparent reason

Bestselling Author 12:11 26 May 05

Every so often my computer tries to connect to the internet (I have it set up so that it asks me to confirm this before taking the action). I can't find why though. I've looked in the Task Manager to see what's running, checked that no programmes have any scheduled tasks at that time and I've also run Spybot and Adaware to check for unauthorised programmes. Any ideas what else I can do to check why the computer wants to connect to the Internet?

pauldonovan 12:20 26 May 05

..check for updates or "call back" to the Net.

You need to somehow find out what is trying to do that...not 100% sure how to do that but I wonder if installing a software firewall like zonealarm might tell you because it should pop-up and say 'x program is trying to access the net'.

Of course, it could be that program Y is using component of windows X to connect to the net so you would be none the wiser - worth a try though.

Is your virus software for example set to auto update?

bowl 22:38 26 May 05

I had the same problem and it stopped when I took MSN Messenger off auto start.

VoG II 22:43 26 May 05

In IE, Tools/Internet connections, Connections tab. Tick Never dial a connection.

Bestselling Author 08:43 27 May 05

I have Norton Internet Security so there is a firewall installed. Because I have set up my pc to display the dial-up screen when it wants to connect to the internet, I just cancel it if I don't want to connect. I'm just intrigued to find out why it has these urges to do so!

pauldonovan 14:58 27 May 05

...what is trying to use the net ? Zonealarm does this I believe...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…