Internet Connections

Les 16:46 21 Dec 04

Once again my neighbour is in trouble! Again it is with his internet connections. He has Tiscali 8am to 6pm and Freeserve Pay as you use. He complained that when he booted up the machine was dialing out to his freeserve connection - ticking the Never Dial up box cured that and both were working at 2pm today - now, 4.30pm, when connecting to Tiscali it dials Freeserve instead, Freeserve comes up with a box saying that the user name and/or password has not been accepted. He swears that he has done nothing. Clicking the Tiscali icon on his screen did not put a dialer on screen - instead it put up one of the boxes which he has to click on enter to get into the site. Clicking this then takes him through Freeserve.

He's fed up with it and quite obviously expects me to wave a magic wand and cure all his ills - I can't help thinking that he is doing something to cause this but, as he asserts that he hasn't, I cannot see how the computer can suddenly act in this way - clearly his settings have been corrupted in some way. I wonder if he would be better off with just one connection - Wanadoo Anytime - this he will not do as it costs more than the Tiscali. I'm tempted to wash my hands on the problem altogether - even so, if any of you know if this problem has anything to do with the different accounts interacting and destroying each others settings - perhaps you could advise me so that I can pass it on.

iambeavis 16:52 21 Dec 04

Has he set one or other of his accounts as the default?

Les 17:09 21 Dec 04

Thanks for the reply.

When I loaded IE and clicked down to Internet Options the default at that time was address I didn't recofnise as Tiscali and clearly this was the reason for the box (which he assures me comes after the dialer) - I changed this to freeserve - but freeserve will not allow him in now as it would appear that either his username or password have become corrupted.

Jeffers22 17:13 21 Dec 04

Back in the days of dial up, I needed to maintain a second account (still do) as my free web hosting needed to be accessed via their own ISP. To overcome similar problems, I created a shortcut to each of the DUN accounts (with their own distinctive ICON) and always mad a point of connecting by clicking on the appropriate shortcut and then opening IE or whatever. Tiscali unfortunately, tends to try to take over, but there should be no reason why you can't get at the plain connection from Dial Up Networking.

iambeavis 17:16 21 Dec 04

Perhaps he's using his Tiscali details to access Freeserve - or vice versa.

Stuartli 17:46 21 Dec 04

Check that Tiscali is the default ISP and that Always Dial My Default Connection is Enabled from Tools>Options>Connections.

Les 18:31 21 Dec 04

Jeffers22: I suspect that the Tiscali account is messing him around somehow and have advised him to bite the bullett and sign uo for Wanadoo Anytime, having looked through their web site I can only admire the help you receive - they appear to cover everything and their replies to emails very quick ( this is a genuine appraisal for I have nothing to do with them and don not use them - I came to this conclusion when my neighbour was last in trouble!).

IanBeavis: That was the trouble he had last time but, remember, all was OK at 2pm and not at 4.30p.m and he swears that he has not done anything to cause this (I have my doubts!!!)

Stuartli: Freeserve is the default and the box is clicked. Freeserve files are contained in a folder in All Programs - but there is no sign of Tiscali at all in the Exp[orer tree.

Q: Is a common dialer called by each account in order to get on the 'net, I think that it must be for I'm pretty sure that, some time ago, the dialler contained both the names, Tiscali and Freeserve and, by clicking the arrow you could connect by either - or did I imagine that.

I think that maybe his best bet is to remake both accounts and, if they go astray again, rid himself of Tiscali altogether and go Wanadoo - I can't understand his reluctance to pay the extra £7 per month when, everytime he gets his emails he uses the Freeserve pay as you use! He can afford it - you may be arriving at the conclusion that my patience is running rather thin with him. Your opinion ?

He will not be available again until Monday so until then I thank all of you for your replies

iambeavis 18:47 21 Dec 04

"he swears that he has not done anything to cause this (I have my doubts!!!)"

You could try moving house but people like him live everywhere - they're willing enough to fiddle with things but not very willing to learn how to put it right.

Les 19:01 21 Dec 04

Ah! - you know him!! Yes, that sums him up exactly!! When all is Ok he disappears until the next time. At my age moving house is not a viable solution - changing my helpful nature is also out - for an old dog can't learn new tricks - easily! I should learn to ignore him but, unfortunately, that's not in my nature.

As usual, if he decides to accept my advice and that solves what I think is a perpetual cycle - ie:- working, not working etc etc I'll post the fact.

iambeavis 19:08 21 Dec 04

and I look forward to reading the next chapter of the saga. Perhaps not.

Les 20:28 03 Jan 05

Last chapter of the puzzling saga. - Yawn..........

His problems eventually sorted - I got him to update his AVG - ran a test anf found no less than 16 viruses (virusii?) - he's now abandoned his Tiscali account and is using just the Freeserve Dial up pay as you go.

I wonder how long before he gets into trouble again for it's fairly certain that he has been going places where he hadn't ought'er!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…