Internet connection and XP SP1

Bad Dad 22:32 04 Jun 03

I was seduced by microsoft and installed SP1. At least I no longer get constant reminders of updates! I do now seem to have an eratic internet connection. All can be well, like now, but increasingly so I can not log on. Virgin help line were helpful and advised me to manually make a new internet connection as they felt the old one was corrupted. All was well for a while and now the modem dials and sticks at "dialling" or "connected to remote computer" etc. Our other computer running win 98 works fine but this one is beginning to get annoying. I've checked the phone line etc etc. Virgin thinks it might be related to SP1 and microsoft isn't coming clean. Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received.

Despicable Desperado 22:43 04 Jun 03

There have been a string of updates since SP1!!! Uninstall SP1 (you did do a back up didn't you?) and see if the problem goes away. If you didn't do a backup and therefore cannot uninstall SP1, backup your important files, plop your CD into the old drive and boot from it. At the first repair prompt select enter (as if doing an install) and then at the second repair prompt press 'R' and this will do a repair of XP. This will take the same time as doing an install but will keep your files intact and get rid of SP1. Then see if everything is OK. SP2 is in beta test at the moment and will be released shortly

The Spires 22:48 04 Jun 03

In your DUN in 'Properies' in the 'Security' tab, is it set to 'Typical' & 'Allow Unsecured Password'?

Bad Dad 22:56 04 Jun 03

The Spires

Yes. Thanks anyway.

Despicable Desperado

No I didn't!!! (I know; I promise never to trust microsoft again). Sounds scary repairing XP but what the hell I'll give it a go.

Many thanks.

swapper 23:27 04 Jun 03

I wonder if I have the same sort of problem, I have winxp home, it was running very well.

I changed to BT Broadband, and then updated winXp to SP1. over a few weeks I have been getting more and more dropouts (disconnected) from broadband, BT have been excellent, I have had an engineer arrive, re-run old telephone lines to the house, checked the internal line, which appears to be o.k. but found no fault with the line, it evern dropped off while he was here, they are now sending me another modem, but I wonder.....could it be SP1?

Happy1 23:46 04 Jun 03

New 811493 or Q815021 if you have Norton(Symantec Firewall) Not sure which update is prob. Happened to me on 29th May.

swapper 22:54 05 Jun 03

You don't happen to have the VIA Tech chip for your USB Controller do you? it seem that VIA can cause a problem for broadband, but the driver can be updated, I am hoping that I have solved my problem this way:-)

swapper 22:54 05 Jun 03

You don't happen to have the VIA Tech chip for your USB Controller do you? it seem that VIA can cause a problem for broadband, but the driver can be updated, I am hoping that I have solved my problem this way:-)

swapper 22:56 05 Jun 03

Sorry about the double entry, my Bush Mills caused that :-)

Bad Dad 15:47 07 Jul 03

This is just a gripe really. Firstly thanks for the responces to my problem. I have been off line for a while!!!! Modem got worse and worse. It wasn't SP1, I knew microsoft are really good guys. It was my modem. Changed the modem and now all is well. Guess who I got the computer from - MESH!!!. Great computer guys, lousy backup. Got one short e-mail from them telling me software isn't covered by my warranty. A phone call or e-mail asking more details of my problem would have been COURTEOUS AND POLITE and more likely to make me buy Mesh again. It wasn't software it was my UNDER WARRANTY modem. Did that not enter their minds at all? For a £10 modem they may have lost a customer. Shame Virgin don't make computers; they know what customer satisfaction is. Ah! I feel very much better :)

Thanks to all who responded.

Gaz 25 16:05 07 Jul 03

I have the: Q815021 and Norton Firewall so it cannot be that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…