Internet connection won't disconnect

Keyhole 20:36 29 Mar 04

My Onetel broadband internet connection will not disconnect, neither by right clicking Network Connection in the Control Panel (XP Home Edition) nor the icon in the Task Bar at the bottom of the screen. The only way is by turning off the computer.

john-232317 20:40 29 Mar 04

Why do you want to disconnect it, are you on time restrictions ?

keith-236785 20:43 29 Mar 04

Broadband is not meant to disconnect, it is supposed to be on as long as the computer is switched on.

if you really wan't to disconnect you would have to switch off the power to the modem, though i cant see why you would wan't to.

Glyn-252301 21:29 29 Mar 04

Sorry to barge in Keyhole but my intrusion may be of help to your query. paperman27 you say that Broadband is on all the time the machine is on. Does that mean that Bt is giving me bad service as I have to connect by clicking on a Bt connection Icon, takes about 10 seconds to connect on a good day. I can then disconnect using the Icon that is now in system tray. I am on BtBroadband 512 and am running 98SE.
Regards G.

john-232317 22:11 29 Mar 04

Like paperman says, my broadband router is on 24/7, seperate power supply, when i put my PC on it is on line immediatly, but if you have a modem it has to dial a connection everytime you put your PC on, cos when you switch off you loose connection because your modem is powered from your PC.

Keyhole 22:27 29 Mar 04

The reason I like to disconnect, which was possible until a couple of weeks ago, is that something disabled my XP firewall, which I cannot now enable. I also had some MAD's which Norton AV (always updated) did not detect. I had to install VCatch to get rid of those, and I've since installed ZoneAlarm. In these days of malicious viruses etc, I don't like leaving my connection on all the time.
There was a lot of other damage done which I won't bore you with, but it looks like I'll have to re-install my OS from scratch sometime soon.

Glyn-252301 17:38 30 Mar 04

I understand now, a broadband router as opposed to a broadband usb modem. Thanks for explaining the difference. Regards G.

john-232317 21:16 30 Mar 04

No trouble ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…