Internet connection without drivers?

panhandle 00:10 18 Mar 06

Sounds stupid, I know. I think I need someone to tell me how stupid please.
I have had my laptop back from repair and they did a clean install Windows, but there are no Drivers installed. It is an ex-IBM machine and I was told to get on the IBM web site and do "system check" and drivers would install.

Sounds easy. How do I connect to internet? I cannot set up a network, wireless or cabled, becuase there is no hardware [drivers]. I have run a cable connection to the router, but can find no way of getting onto internet. My 'host' desktop is XP Pro on 2mb broadband and LAN is enabled. LAN settings are set to 'automatically detect' in Internet Options/Connections. The laptop is XP Home.

Neither computer is recognising the other in My Network Places.

Windows Firewall is set to allow Internet Explorer as an exception.

There must be a simple trick I'm missing? Tanks.

Jak_1 00:44 18 Mar 06

How did you get here then? Has the laptop got the ISP software installed?

More information about your ISP, OS ect would be helpful.

panhandle 00:53 18 Mar 06

I am here on the desktop.

I have just tried plugging the cable from the DSL modem router direct into the laptop.

Slight progress - it let me set up a connection-but it would not connect!

Maybe it needs a nights' sleep on this one in the absence of any ideas.........

wbiggchiefy 01:41 18 Mar 06

For goodness sake take it back to where it was repaired and tell them none of the drivers are working - incidentally where did u take it as I will avoid them?!

If you are confident and the computer is under warranty you could just go to control panel / computer management/device manager
If u have backed up your system u could try to uninstall the drivers (and if the OS disk is on your system the drivers will re-install automatically)
Chiefy

jack 08:26 18 Mar 06

To get onto the internet with any machine with a DIAL-UP modem is easy because you do not actually need drivers from an external source.

Go to Co0ntrol Panel, Modem, Instal driver.
When the prompt asks from where CD or List?
Select list.
Then select Generic 56K driver.
You are then in business.

Hertz Van Rentyl 09:55 18 Mar 06

Can you identify the network card driver you need, get that on your desktop and install on laptop, may then be able to connect and update remaining drivers.

panhandle 10:16 18 Mar 06

I think I'll take it back. I'm just in a loop.
I'm not on dial-up. And with no network card as such I cannot get a dialog with my desktop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…