internet connection whilst travelling

K.E 22:09 15 Apr 03

Hi, I currently live in the US and have a broadband connection but return to the UK every few months with my laptop. I am not v technically minded and do not know how I can use my laptop to connect to the internet whilst in the UK.
Any info would be a great help...

The PC Doctor 23:06 15 Apr 03

A while ago I looked into this for my son at University. The only way we worked out you could do it was by connecting a mobile phone to a laptop (Expensive connection kit!) then use a dial up connection to access the Internet (Very Expensive phone bill).

While I found that it was possible the huge costs of using a mobile phone on a dial up account stopped me from going any further into this.

If you are still determined to go ahead I would checkout the options along these lines.

You will to find a connection kit.

You will need a UK dial-up ISP.

You will need a large bank balance!!!!!!

Murray 23:30 15 Apr 03

ie a phone socket in the wall - you could get a modem that plugs into your laptop (£25 from dabs.com) then you just need a standard dial up account from a UK ISP.

I'd recommend Freeserve anytime (£15 a month, but if you're only here for a few months it's £6 a month for 1st 3 months)

MAJ 23:36 15 Apr 03

That would be my idea as well, Murray, but don't those anytime packages only allow you to dial up from one 'phone line? To use any 'phone line, if you're travelling around, use a pay as you go account like Freedom were you set up the account with the Username = freedom, Password = freedom and the 'phone number is 0845 604 2079.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:41 15 Apr 03

click here and download freeweb. I use this when travelling around. You connect to a UK number and only pay 1p (1.6c) or 4p/minute (6c) (local call rate). Natch you need access to a telephone socket though....and if you can, you can probably get off paying the call charge. ;-)) The dialler is only a small D/L.

G

K.E 23:41 15 Apr 03

Hi...
thanks for all your advice, feel a bit clearer now.
I have a brand new HP laptop ze1210 would that be likely to have an internal modem to save me buying one?
The freedom account sounds good am i right in thinking that i pay the freedom 'pay as you go rate' and then am charged to use the phone line at a local rate call? Do you happen to have the website for freedom?

Thanks again for helping a v 'green' user!

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:43 15 Apr 03

ps...you can connect from any UK phone number, the owner of the line gets charged the cost of a local call.

G.

MAJ 23:48 15 Apr 03

As GANDALF <|:-)> says, K.E. whoever owns the 'phone line pays the charge, you will of course come to some arrangement with the owner. The site is click here the specific page on that site is click here

MAJ 23:51 15 Apr 03

You only pay the locall rate, you don't pay anything to Freedom, K.E.

fitshase 02:22 16 Apr 03

In response to your question about the modem, your laptop does have an internal one.

However, you will need to purchase an adaptor for the modem cable in order for it to fit a BT phone socket. You can pick them up from any computer store over here for about £5.

Hope this helps

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…