internet connection & vpn

robert01 19:30 14 Aug 10

I have a basic talktalk broadband connection with a wireless ( belkin ) modem plugged in straight to my pc and a wireless laptop downstairs.

Some days the pc internet connection is perfect, fast and stable but most of the time I cannot connect without first activating my work vpn connection which is set up on the pc.

The laptop is worse, again sometimes it will be fine - just turn on the modem and we are connected no problem but most days it will not connect for hours - even if I have at the same time got a connection going on the pc.

I am at a loss - why is it sometimes ok and when it isn't how does the vpn help me to 'punch through' and get connected ?

How can it be a modem problem or the internet settings when the problem is not occurring constantly ?

I expect it is talktalk / bt issue due to the usual infrastructure and over capicity issues in the uk.

Before I give up on talktalk and bt and go for the expense and hassle of virgin fibre optic or similar I would really welcome any help or suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…