Internet connection via USB

micky3fingers 19:27 01 Mar 08

Hi,
I recently moved into a house where they have virgin broadband but theres no wireless.
The main computer is connected to the router via the network cable and he said i can connect my laptop to the internet via the usb.
I got the leads to connect but when I plug them I get no internet, I was told i might need to download a driver or something?
I have an acer laptop on windows XP, do you know where I can download a driver or is this the right thing to do?
Can he still use his internet at the same time if i get connected via USB?

Many thanks for any help.
Michael

ambra4 19:42 01 Mar 08

You can not use the USB and the Ethernet cable at the same time it either the USB cable or the Ethernet cable

You need to get a wireless router if you want to use wireless or a switch if you want to hard wire

D-Link 54Mbps Wireless Broadband Router

click here

D-Link 5 Port 10/100 Unmanaged Ethernet Switch

click here

micky3fingers 19:54 01 Mar 08

Thanks for the reply,
The USB lead is wired through the ceiling to upstairs, do you know what i need to download to get connected to the intenet via USB in the meantime until I get either the switch or wireless router?

Thanks,
Mick

ambra4 19:59 01 Mar 08

What is the make and model of modem/router and have the usb cable ever worked with the ethernet cable connected to the main computer

micky3fingers 20:11 01 Mar 08

Its a NTL cable modem, model number E08C007, not sure if the usb worked before with the ethernet still connected to main computer, but the usb connection had been used before by someone else.

Thanks

ambra4 21:10 01 Mar 08

Sorry you definitely cannot on any Cable or DSL
Modem, use both the USB and Ethernet ports at the same time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…