Internet connection stops working until PC restart

cactusjack 21:46 21 Apr 07

I seem to have a problem with my netgear DG834G router. My PC uses a wired connection to connect to the router. I bought both the PC and the router 3 months ago, and the problem has occured since the beginning.

The Internet connection will stop working on average once a day. Only when I restart the PC will everything be ok. I also play online gaming (World of Warcraft). Sometimes, when the problem occurs, Warcraft is happy to carry on accessing the Internet connection and works fine, but no other internet applications can be launched. I log off Warcraft and try to log in again and it can't connect. No other Internet applications can successfully use the Internet until the PC is restarted.

Other times, Warcraft will stop acccessing the Internet as well when the connections stops.

I restart the PC, and everything is back to normal. This leads me to believe that it is a PC settings problem perhaps.

3 months ago, I have turned off the power management option that lets the network card be shut down to save power. This has not helped.

I would be most grateful for advice in solving this problem.

Thank you.

birdface 22:19 21 Apr 07

Do you run Zone Alarm Firewall.

cactusjack 22:25 21 Apr 07

Yes, I run the free version of Zone Alarm firewall, version 6.5.737

Dipso 22:27 21 Apr 07

I'm interested in the answer to this as I experience the same...if fact I've just changed my PC and it happens on my new one too.

I was using a DG834G and like you the connection returned after a reboot of the PC but I use a differeent router now and still have the problem.

birdface 22:46 21 Apr 07

Now this has happened twice in the last couple of weeks.One person Deleted Zone Alarm And downloaded another firewall and it worked Ok then, Next one fixed Zone alarm to allow netgear to run,So I think the problem will be with Zone Alarm.

birdface 22:52 21 Apr 07

I wonder if deleting Zone Alarm And then reinstalling it would work.

Jaro 22:53 21 Apr 07

hi, have you tried Firmware upgrade? you can download software here click here

Dipso 22:53 21 Apr 07

Could be as I was using ZA too.

cactusjack 22:54 21 Apr 07

Dipso - do you use Zone Alarm too?

buteman, thank you for your responses. You mentioned that one fixed Zone alarm to allow netgear to run.

Does anyone know how to go about that?

Jaro 22:54 21 Apr 07

i have done the same with my router it the same one by the way and i havent had any problems with it since.

birdface 22:58 21 Apr 07

click here This is one of the threads,I dont know if it will help,or in fact if it is your problem, But worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac