Internet connection still active after shutdown

puddin 11:34 21 Dec 07

XPPro PC and Vista PC both connected to Linksys WAG325N adsl gateway via ethernet.

When my PCs are on, the ethernet connection indicators on the gateway are lit, as I would expect.

When I closedown my XP-based PC, gateway indicator for that connection extinguishes - also as I would expect.

When I closedown the Vista-based PC, indicator remains lit. I have definitely Shut Down the PC, it is not hibernating or asleep.

What is the significance of this? Is the connection to the PC really active? CAn someone take over the PC, even though it is "off" via the internet? Is there a way to make the Vista PC behave in the same way as the XP PC?

Kemistri 15:35 21 Dec 07

"What is the significance of this?" Nothing at all. The PC cannot respond to any form of LAN traffic unless wake on LAN is enabled in BIOS. Try switching that client off at the mains and I think you will see the router's Ethernet light go out, based on my own experience. The WAN is always active, of course, but so is the LAN while the adapters still have some power in them. It doesn't mean that there is any throughput at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…