Internet connection speed

gav223 11:23 04 Jul 09

Hi.

I am living in the UAE and have a 1mb internet speed.

The price of this is almost £50 and for me to upgrade to 2mb it will cost another £20.

Is there a way for me to increase the speed any other way.

I have read about software that is supposed to do , but don't know if this is genuine.

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks.

mgmcc 11:48 04 Jul 09

If you have a 1Mbps connection, that is the maximum (theoretical) speed at which you can download data. With an asymmetrical connection (e.g. ADSL), the upload speed will be slower; with a symmetrical connection (SDSL), it will be the same.

Programs, such as "Onspeed", which claim to improve data transfer speeds do so by applying compression to the data. This can deliver some improvement with data that isn't already compressed, but files such as JPG images which are already compressed won't show any improvement. The technology is better suited to slow "dialup" connections than to broadband.

RobCharles1981 12:08 04 Jul 09

That's a huge expense to be paying for Broadband you can do seriously better.

click here Post Back the full results on whats available to you at your exchange.

What modem or router do you have I will tell you how to get your line stats to determine your actual speed.

Cheers

Rob

mgmcc 12:15 04 Jul 09

>>> That's a huge expense to be paying for Broadband you can do seriously better.

He is in the United Arab Emirates though!

RobCharles1981 12:15 04 Jul 09

:S Jesus!!

gav223 12:18 04 Jul 09

Thanks mgmcc for your explanation.

These things that I'm reading obviously don't work.

Hi Rob.

I've clicked on the link and it tells me to put in a bt number.

I live in the UAE and the only company that supplies where I am living is called etislat.

I know, the amount they charge is pathetic.

Is there anything else I can do.

Thanks.

RobCharles1981 12:23 04 Jul 09

Phone A Friend? ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…