internet connection and sound problem.

davo1967 21:27 27 Mar 08

Hello all,wondering if you could help me, yesterday i formatted my hard drive and now i cant connect to the internet and all sound has gone aswell, i,m on win xp service pack 1 and was trying to update it to service pack 2 but it all went pear shaped so i decided to wipe the lot and start again, anyway it is'nt the internet connection because i'm using it now on my laptop, someone did tell me that it is probably the drivers that need updating, so i went into the device manager and there was a couple of yellow ? marks so i updated those but still no luck, anybody any ideas please, thanks.

MAJ 22:03 27 Mar 08

It would appear that you probably need to reinstall the sound card's driver, davo1967, that's the usual cause of no sound after a reinstall of Windows. Maybe you have those on a separate disk that came with your PC? If not, let us know the make and model of your sound card/chip. You can find that out by doing a scan with Belarc Advisor, you can download that if you click here

How did you connect to the internet prior to the reinstall? Did you use a modem, a router, was it wireless or wired?

davo1967 08:08 28 Mar 08

hello, it is a realtek ac97 audio, and it is a wired connection, but my internet connection is working fine.

johnnyrocker 08:15 28 Mar 08

"but my internet connection is working fine".

your post says you cannot connect which doesnt make much sense

whio is your isp as you may have to reinstall their connection circuit?

johnny.

davo1967 09:19 28 Mar 08

Sorry what i meant was the connection is working fine on my laptop, my isp is ntl/virgin.

davo1967 10:36 28 Mar 08

i am also getting an error message saying 0xc00d11ba cannot play file when i try to use the media player, i tried to update the driver with one i downloaded but my pc just crashed ?

johnnyrocker 10:39 28 Mar 08

might be of help click here=

johnny

Jak_1 12:30 28 Mar 08

Realtec AC97 drivers here:
click here

You may need to update your video driver too. I did a full re-install about 4 weeks ago and had to update both sound and video drivers.

davo1967 17:26 28 Mar 08

thanks fellas all done, one more thing, why cant i install service pack 2, thats what started this in the first place ??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac