Internet connection slows down

kay10 10:20 16 Jun 05

My problem is one of connection speed on my (other) computer on the internet, it seems to slow down and eventually stop after a mnute or so, this was confirmed using a 30 day trial of "system mechanic" which reported an initial speed of 8 Kb/sec which dropped to 78 Bytes/sec after 3 mins. I suspected a virus but have re-installed the operating system (ME) twice to no avail, I also am using Avast, but cannot get updates as the system slows down before they can receive complelely. I use an external modem which works on other machines (on usb). I would like to install an internal modem, but windows will persist on installing one to Com5.
The machine is MSI Board KT4V AMD2500proc 512RAM Nvidea graphics ANY ideas gratefully received

DieSse 11:17 16 Jun 05

"but windows will persist on installing one to Com5"

Why is this a problem - modern internal modems contain their own com port, which Windows/modem driver normally sets up as it likes.

Completealias 16:06 16 Jun 05

I am using Avast here and when they updated it to 4.6 they included a new web shield protection feature this grinded my connection to a halt as am still on dialup but once I had terminated this protection things returned to usual

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017