Internet Connection Sharing in Win XP

blackwhite 09:28 30 Jun 03

I have a desktop and a laptop pc and I intend to setup the Internet connection sharing feature on the PC.

The Desktop has two Nic cards, I am using a Netgear 602 ethernet modem. I would like to use the second Nic card using a crossover cable to connect to the laptop and share the internet connection.

So what I did was to select the Nic which connects to the Internet, inside sharing tab enable the ICS feature.

Following this I get the error message:

'An error occured while ICS was being enables.
A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for the automatic IP addressing.'

I have set automatic IP addressing on both NIC cards.

Please advise

Thank you

Upen Desai

wipe out the existing LAN connection and start again , the network setup wizard will configure ICS automatically it should only take five minutes. beware that it also turns on the xp firewall automatically so you will need to turn this off if you use another firewall.

blackwhite 19:52 30 Jun 03

I have tried that already but it did not work, and there are no other firewalls set either.

It tries to share the connection but give out the same error message.

ICS cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing.

Please help.

thanks

eccomputers 21:48 30 Jun 03

On the machine that doesnt have the internet, go into the IP settings in the LAN and change to auto obtain IP address. Now reboot.
On the machine with the internet, go into the IP settings of the LAN, change to be the same option and reboot.
Now bring up the dial up box and change from 'me only' to 'everyone' and you will have to enter the password. Let it connect, now hang up the connection.
Now go into properties for the internet connection and share it. This should work.
If it doesnt, please come back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…