Internet Connection Sharing - query

Happy37 07:54 02 Jul 07

Hi all

I have been using ICS for quite a long while now in my existing network. I have also NOT made any major changes at all to my setup apart from changing/swapping my Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem for a new one.

However, here is my query: -

Internet access generally works fine on my Host PC, however I have noticed that it is intermittent on my Client/2nd PC?

For example, I was on the Internet yesterday afternoon on my 1st PC - I wanted to go onto my 2nd one to download something off the Net, and what message do I get?

"The page cannot be displayed"

Why is this and what causes this to happen?

I have got my firewall(s) set up to allow ICS and the WMI service is also running on both computers on the network?

The Internet is available on my 1st PC as I am connected to the Net on that PC; sop why is it not available on the 2nd one?

I tried to use the Windows XP Netdiag utility to see if it gave any clue as to what is going on, yet I can only use it if I am using an Ethernet modem, and the Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem is not Ethernet.

I would not need an Ethernet modem as I only use the Net to do light surfing and downloading of my emails.

Is there a MS-DOS command that I can type into the Run box in Windows XP to see what is going on?

Please advise – all responses gratefully received.

Regards

Happy37

Technotiger 08:04 02 Jul 07

Many reasons for this one - here are a few, with remedies ... courtesy of Google.

click here

Happy37 08:20 02 Jul 07

Hi Technotiger

Thanks for all the links - which one of these shall I try first?

I was thinking of looking at the Microsoft one to try and see if that one will work?

What do you suggest?

Regards

Technotiger 08:23 02 Jul 07

Agree - Microsoft.

Happy37 08:25 02 Jul 07

Okay - will try it tonight and will report back to let you know how it goes.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Happy37 07:37 03 Jul 07

Hi Technotiger

Good morning - I am reporting back to say that the problem with the Net access on my 2nd PC is now fixed!!!

I looked at the first Microsoft support article in your suggested link, and having read that, I cleaned up my Temp files, did a disk check and defrag.

After that, I also reset the security levels in IE to their defaults and rebooted.

It all worked fine after this, and last time I checked late last night, it still worked okay.

I will keep a note of the Microsoft webpage you have suggested in case of future problems, yet I will also keep my PC tuned and cleaned in case it all goes wrong again in future.

Thanks once again for all your help - you've helped me sort it all once again!!!

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Happy37

PS - I will be writing another help question after this one...so please help in any way possible if you can!

Technotiger 07:52 03 Jul 07

Grreat, thanks for the feedback.

Technotiger 07:56 03 Jul 07

PS - to keep a 'note' of any web page, with the page open just click on Bookmarks or Favourites (depending on which browser you use) at the top, and then add the page. It is then readily available any time you want to refer to it again.

Happy37 19:11 01 Apr 08

Hi all

Just popping back to say that I am now faced with the same problem, and this has been happeneing over the last few days?

Doews anyone have any ideas on how to help me resolve this please?

Thanks

Happy37 20:58 01 Apr 08

Hi all

Just popping back to say that I am now faced with the same problem, and this has been happeneing over the last few days?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to help me resolve this please?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…