internet connection sharing problem

howard60 12:59 25 Jun 05

2 pcs see each other over the crossover cable. The host has ics enabled and shows connected and shared. Client pc cannot connect and the properties of the host pc are shown as connected but not shared. Does anyone know how to get the client pc to know it is shared?

mgmcc 13:40 25 Jun 05

<<<Does anyone know how to get the client pc to know it is shared?>>>

The Client PC isn't "shared" as such - it gets its internet access over the LAN from the Host PC's shared connection.

When ICS was enabled on the internet connection in the "host", its Local Area Connection will have been given the IP address subnet and the "client" should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "host".

If you open a Command Prompt window in the client, type IPCONFIG /ALL and press Enter, you should see the IP address that has been allocated to it and which should be in the same range. If you are running firewall software, the IP addresses of the networked PCs need to be entered in its "trusted" area. Also, if running Zone Alarm in the "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security setting must be reduced from High to Medium or ICS traffic will be blocked.

howard60 14:23 25 Jun 05

thanks for that but on my other pc when in place of this client the gateway on the host is shown and it states connected and shared. With this new pc it shows the gateway but only as connected not shared. IP address set up and as trusted in zone alarm.

howard60 17:52 25 Jun 05

as an update - using msn messenger I can converse with the client pc so that it is connecting via ics. The problem now appears to be internet explorer not working. I will therefore close this and look to reinstall ie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…