Internet Connection Sharing LOST - not resolved.

binkitone 14:29 16 Apr 03

I have two PC networked using Windows 98SE, the ‘Internet Connection Sharing’ was working well, then suddenly (>two months ago) the second (client) PC became disabled (I do not have a firewall).
The client PC displays via the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs/Windows Setup/Internet Tools/ where the ‘Components’ show the Internet Connection Sharing check box is now not selected. Selecting this just produces a message;
“Internet configuration is not complete. Please install your network hardware before Internet Connection Sharing”.
The mystery is that the LAN cards are obviously installed as I still have ‘Network Neighborhood’ functioning correctly.

Not only have I reinstalled the LAN card driver on both PC’s several times and on the client, physically reinstalled the card in other slots, re-formatted HD/re-installed Win98se and I have now replaced the ‘client’ with a brand new card.
I still can’t get pass the ‘Sharing check box’ stage I don’t know what to do next, help please, I’ve ran out of options.

recap 19:42 16 Apr 03

binkitone, have you tried the new card in the other computer?

You can try a command prompt that will show you what is configured on your system. It will show you the IP address and Mac/physical address of the computer and the NIC card repestively.

Run a command prompt and type the following noting that there is a space after ipconfig:

ipconfig /all

binkitone 19:32 18 Apr 03

Recap, Appreciate response, I've taken a break for couple of days from the hours on the PC (weather as it is).
The new card(Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet)on the 'client'is exactly as I have on the 'host' connected to the 'internet' together with a similar 'SMC'card for LAN connection, with respect I doubt whether it's the card. The main point is the LAN is working? Ran; ipconfig /all
Description . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter
NDIS5 Driver
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-04-5A-8E-77-08
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . :
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . :
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 04 18 03 6:53:26 PM
Don't mean much to me? Other than try another PC as client (motherboard?)any suggestions?

vinnyo123 06:16 19 Apr 03

how are the two pc connected,and how are you connecting to WAN

howard60 07:04 19 Apr 03

using xp pro - used system restore to go back to when it was working but it still would not work. Then went back to original position and set it up again and it started working. I know this is not relevant to your set up but try removing the nics from both machines. Go into device manager and remove all traces of nics from list of hardware devices. even go as far as viewing hidden devices. then if possible set up the nics in the different machines and set it all up again.

binkitone 20:16 19 Apr 03

The two PC's (cards) are connected as a Local Area Network(LAN) with two cat 5 UTP cables to a 10/100Mbps (class II) Hub. Which (no problem)is allowing me to share files as a 'Home Network'.

Can you suggest for Windows98SE where 'viewing hidden devices' can be found? Apparently, a client PC does not require Windows98, so I wondering why I am trying to set 'Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)' on the second PC? (It use to work 2 months ago). I shall have ago of re-installing drivers again. My suspicion is it could be the IP addresses but as I've said it does work as a network, but no ICS?

Legolas 21:50 19 Apr 03

Is there a WAN port on the Hub as I was under the impression that you could,nt share an Internet connection using a hub you needed a router with a WAN port.

binkitone 11:12 20 Apr 03

Part of a 'SMC' "10/100Mbps Network Starter Kit";
"One 4-port 10/100Mbps Hub with Expansion Port" no mention of any WAN port. It's a simply LAN working 2 PC's OK, sharing files. It was for at least a year, the client PC functioned with 'Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)' until just a couple of months?

binkitone 14:59 21 Apr 03

recap, vinnyo123, howard60, Legolas,
I believed I've resolved my lost ICS. As in most cases it appeared to be a simple re-configuration of my host PC (although I thought already I done that). After removing the two NIC drivers from the host and the 'Network Neighborhood' and then re-establish the LAN, I checked (host only)inside the 'Internet Tools' the Tick Box'for ICS as O.K. Somehow, during the ICS Wizard process, select the correct NIC from 3 NIC (one unknown?)which was already connected to the internet? Then the local NIC from the 2 remaining NIC (leaving still an unknown NIC?).Anyway on the client PC, using 'Internet Explorer' it immediately connected to the WEB. Anyway after months, Thanks guys.

recap 12:19 25 Apr 03

For future reference lets break down what you have from the ipconfig /all, hopefully in as basic English as I can.

"Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter NDIS5 Driver Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-04-5A-8E-77-08" this reference is to the NIC (adaptor) that you have installed on that particular computer, the Physical address is also know as the Mac address.

"DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes" DHCP = Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, which means basically that you do not have to assign an IP address to a client machine this protocol does it for you. If at a latter date you decide to introduce another computer on your network all you need do is configure the computer to obtain an IP address automatically.

"IP Address. . . :" This is the IP address of this particular computer. Others on the network will have a similar IP address but, the last octet will be different. Example first computer = client = and so on.

"Subnet Mask . . . :" this is in reference to what subnet your network is running on. It helps in the communication of the clients and whether there is need for a router to be in place between subnets. click here for a description on defining a Subnet mask.

"Default Gateway . . .: DHCP Server . . . :" The simplest way of describing this is: Your network has it's own subnet, if you want to communicate to another subnet then you would need to enter the address of a router or a gateway so that your network can communicate with this outside address.

"Primary WINS Server . . . : Secondary WINS Server . ." When you first boot up the client machine it trys to get the attention of the Primary WINS for registering. If the WINS server does not respond then the client tries the secondary WINS hopefully this will talk to the client and register with it. This is where you get "Lease Obtained. . . . : 04 18 03 6:53:26 PM" from. In other words the client has been allowed on to the network with a lease timed at 6:53:26 PM.

Hope that has filled in some gaps for you, I have tried to give a basic description of all the above as it can get complicated. If I have made any mistakes then somebody will correct them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…