Internet Connection Sharing LOST on client PC

binkitone 11:33 05 Apr 03

I have two PC networked using Windows 98SE, the ‘Internet Connection Sharing’ was working well when the second (client) PC became disabled (I do not have a firewall). The client PC displays via the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs/Windows Setup/Internet Tools/ where the ‘Components’ show the Internet Connection Sharing check box is now not selected. Selecting this just produces a message;
“Internet configuration is not complete. Please install your network hardware before Internet Connection Sharing”.
The mystery is that the client LAN card is obviously installed as I still have ‘Network Neighborhood’ functioning correctly between host and client.
I have reinstalled the LAN card driver on both PC’s several times and physically reinstalled the card on the client PC, I just can’t get pass the ‘Sharing check box’ error meesage stage, other tah trying the card in another slot, I don’t know what to do next,(problem unresolved for more than a month) help appreciated.

recap 13:33 05 Apr 03

Have you tried another card, binkitone?

Are your IP addresses correct?

Can you ping both machines?

binkitone 15:07 05 Apr 03

Recap,
I've just moved my card to another slot, and reloaded driver after detection on startup. discovered I now have two adapter shown on the 'Network - configuration' but it has allowed me ICS, so I believe I've cracked it. That was short lived, as when coming to using 'Internet Explorer' it now indicate 'sharing'on to LAN setting then 'Auto Detect', it still not picking-up a web page (which is running on the hostPC), as it use to on previous setups?
So this initial problem discribed is solved, the next is to get actual 'Internet Connection Sharing'.
My IP addresses appear correct I'll check. Can I ping both machines? not sure what you mean?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…