Internet connection sharing, any paticular order?

rdh660 10:34 03 Jan 05

I have just networked an old computer directly to my main machine via a crossover cable and initiated internet connection sharing to use my broadband connection on the main machine. Both machines are running Windows XP SP2 and all works fine with IP addresses being automatically detected. Sometimes however things go a litle pear shaped and settings seem to be lost. I know I have to have the main computer switched on in order to share connection etc but is it important to have the main computer switched on BEFORE the client or can it be switched on afterwards if I suddenly decide to surf the internet on the client?
Thanks
Rob

ACOLYTE 10:39 03 Jan 05

I dont think it matters so much,but somtimes if i switch the host on first the client gets limited connection but only untill i dial up to net after that it sorts itself.So i dont think it matters what order they are switched on,of course you wont be able to go online unless the host is on,unless you get a wireless setup.

rdh660 10:47 03 Jan 05

Thanks for the fast response Acolyte.
Never ceases to amaze me how people in the forum are so willing to help us novices.
regards Rob.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…