Internet connection sharing 98se XP pro

john63 20:21 19 Dec 05

Anyone know the best way to to share an internet connection between a win 98se pc(host) and a winxp pro pc(client). Do I need to use a static or dinamic ip address on the network cards?

Devil Fish 21:10 19 Dec 05

bit more info please are the machines already connected if so how (crossover or router )

john63 21:12 19 Dec 05

they are connected by a crossover cable. The internet connects via a BT voager 220

Devil Fish 21:36 19 Dec 05

you will need to apply static ip you may also need your isp's dns settings

john63 21:37 19 Dec 05

what do i need to use a static ip to?

woodchip 21:39 19 Dec 05

The Easy way if you are BB is get a Router Modem. Not just router

Devil Fish 21:43 19 Dec 05

go to control panel then network connections

right click the connection select properties

highlight tcp/ip select propeties check use the following ip adress type in the ip adress click ok

mgmcc 22:14 19 Dec 05

You need to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection in the "Host" PC. This will automatically configure its network adapter with the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1

The "Client" PC's network adapter remains set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the Host PC. You do not manually enter any IP addresses!

It is *very* much easier to enable "ICS" in Windows XP if you can do it that way. Post back if you need instructions for setting it up in 98SE.

john63 23:35 19 Dec 05

How do I enable internet connection sharing on the actual internet connection (host pc). There are no options in control panel. Do I need to install ICS seperately or can i use the network setup disk that xp makes? All help much appreciated.

john63 23:36 19 Dec 05

What about DNS and default gateway setings?

john63 00:14 20 Dec 05

I have just discovered that file and printer sharing only works if I set the ip addresses on the NICs to configure automatically. I don't know whether this has anything to do with my problem, but may do. Also, a default gateway connection has appeared in the taskbar on the host Pc (2.2 Mbs!!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…