Internet connection sharing

Pamrap 19:57 10 May 03

I have just set up a home network. The host is WIndows 98SE and the client XP pro. This is because the host has the internet connection. I installed Zone Alarm on the host and enabled firewall on the client.When I install ICS on the host it will not connect if zone alarm is enabled. What is the best way round this? Do I have to buy commercial software?

Kitz E Kat 20:42 10 May 03

No you do not need any more S/W. You can configure ZA to allow certain programs access to the internet. I dont have a copy handy and cant remember the exact settings but their not hard to find and configure,there is a tab on ZA to do this, sorry i cant be more specific, you will find them fairly easy, you can enable ZA to ask you to authorise each internet connection , this is handy cos there are lots of programs that like to have a go at connecting on there own, happened on my machine!! And ZA did the trick.
Sorry i cant be more help, but if you have a quick look you will find the setting and configure in a minuites

SafeHaven 20:44 10 May 03

I hade zone alarm on my pc and my wife on her pc we did have rpoblems with Zone alarm but did manage to sort it however I can't remember how, If you should decide to go for a commercial one I recomend Norton Fire wall if you can manage system works thats even better< I hope this helps Pat

Legolas 20:48 10 May 03

If you go into the ZA preferences and set both sliders to medium this should allow the connection to work.

howard60 20:56 10 May 03

I normally find that the host pc needs to be set up to use ip address 192 168 0 1 sub net mask 255 255 255 0 and gateway as ip address. also the client must be set as 192 168 0 2 255 255 255 0 and use gateway as host. Make sure sharing is enabled on both pcs put something into shared docs anything will do. it is also useful to have the guest account turned on with the xp machine. If you do not know how to set the ip address come back.

Pamrap 16:08 11 May 03

Thanks for the advice. I have set Zone alarm to medium for internet traffic and it works. Is my computer now vulnerable?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…