internet connection sharing

chapeau 13:29 28 Nov 04

I have two computers, 1 runs xp, has plenty of memory( 1gb,00gbhdd) and is networked to my old Windows ME machine, File and printer sharing are working OK.
But internet sharing is not I have been through the book umpteen times and all seems well, I can ping messages back and forwards with no problem, and the screens say internet sharing is working.But nothing I do on the ME machines gets through to net, not from Explorer or Mozilla, or on any of the u[date connections. The ME works alright on the and I have dial up connections to two ISP's installed and working. Is this OK ?
I have McAfee Firewall on my Xp machine, and on my ME machine, but have now switched the ME installation off.
Any suggerstions it is driving me crazy and if I want to connect tehe second machine to the net I have to physically move the phone lead.

ACOLYTE 14:26 28 Nov 04

Are both PC's using the same connection,you say u have 2 ISP installed make sure they both using the same one,also you only really need a firewall on the PC that connects direct to net,also check that they are both in the same work group,usually if u open the LAN connection and can see the other PC and access its files its OK.Also did you run the xp set up on the ME machine it should give you the option to save to floppy and run on other pc,Try turning both firewalls off just to try it if it works you know its a firewall issue.

mrdsgs 14:35 28 Nov 04

make sure in internet connections that the ME machine is set to "never dial" or "only when a network connection is not present.

chapeau 12:49 30 Nov 04

Thank you Acolyte, the problem lies with the firewall. Switch off and we have contact. I have tried McAfee,Zone Alarm and Enigma same with all of them, No Contact. With MS Windows Firewall limited contact, no access to email, no access to MS Windows update, and downloads always foul up.
Where Now ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…