Internet Connection Sharing

goll_y 08:25 02 Oct 04

I've setup two computers so they can share files from each computer. This is working.

However, although my main one can access the internet via a broadband connection, the other one can't connect through this.

I've enabled sharing on the host but still can't connect on the other one.

sat481 08:50 02 Oct 04

I know you probably have already done this but is the firewall set up to allow internet sharing?? Also have you set up the internet connection to be shareable? Another silly little thing to check is the default gateway on the second machine.

Sat

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 02 Oct 04

HOW TO SETUP AND SHARE A BROADBAND INTERNET CONNECTION
click here

goll_y 17:14 02 Oct 04

Yeah it was my firewall on the host computer (I have one on the second computer and it is now working fine).

I have disabled the firewall on my main computer but obviously want to use it. How do I allow the second to access the internet with the firewall on? I've got Zone Alarm Pro.

Noelg23 17:18 02 Oct 04

you need to set the IP address on Zone Alarm Pro by the sounds of it...you have to tell Zone Alarm that this new IP address is safe so it should be able to let it connect without you having to keep shutting down the Firewall...I maybe wrong so I am open to correction on this one...

mosfet 17:20 02 Oct 04

Enter PC's into "Trusted Zone"

goll_y 18:09 02 Oct 04

where do I find the IP address on the computer?

JonnyTub 18:11 02 Oct 04

if your using xp, click start and then run, type ipconfig into the bar and press ok.

VoG II 18:25 02 Oct 04

Start, Run, type

cmd

and click OK.

At the > prompt type

ipconfig

and press Enter key.

goll_y 20:16 04 Oct 04

Still having problems. I can only access the internet on the other one if I disable the firewall on the first.

It won't seem to work.

goll_y 15:24 24 Oct 04

On the Zone Alarm Pro on the main I clicked

- Firewall/Zones and then add IP address.

I've added the IP address of the second computer but it doesn't work.

I did ipconfig on the second computer and it came up -

connection-specific DNS suffix
IP address
Subnet mask
Default gateway

I added the IP address. Is this the right one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…