Internet Connection Sharing

Muzzsjm 12:45 16 Jun 04

Hi All

I have an Athlon XP PC that I have built myself and a Sony Vaio P4 laptop. I am trying to share my Broadband connection on them both but not having a lot of luck.

The PC connects to the Internet via a Broadband Modem. It is also connected to a Netgear Router. The laptop is also connected to this Router.

I cannot share anything on either system though in Windows. The laptop can see the pc but cannot access anything on it, but the pc cannot see the laptop at all. When trying to ping eachother they get no response, both system have an IP address and Windows believes there is a LAN connection when plugging the network cables into the Router.

The pc has XP Pro and the laptop XP Home. I have tried the network setup wizard, tried disabling firewalls and manually setting it all up.

I also have a SparkCom ADSL Modem Router but I still get the same problem.

vinnyo123 13:15 16 Jun 04

What IP's are they using?

Did you right click and share a folder on each PC and add NTFS permissions?(access folder through my network places)

Are PC's in the same workgroup and have a unique name?

Post back?

Muzzsjm 15:26 16 Jun 04

I am at work so not sure of the IP's but I think they are...

and

I have tried enabling sharing through My Network Places on both systems.

Muzzsjm 15:26 16 Jun 04

I am at work so not sure of the IP's but I think they are...

and

I have tried enabling sharing through My Network Places on both systems.

PC name: MUZZDESKTOP
Laptop name: MUZZLAPTOP

Both are Workgroup: Muzz

Stuartli 15:38 16 Jun 04

If you go to Help and Support, click on Networking and then Internet Connections>Internet Connections Sharing, you'll find details of the network adapters required and the full configuration details.

Muzzsjm 15:56 16 Jun 04

Yeah I've had a brief look but it wasn't any help.

Yokel 16:54 16 Jun 04

As you are attemting to use ICS it sounds as though you are using the router just as an E'net hub/switch with an internal BB modem in the PC - is that right ?
If so is the DHCP service on the router switched off ( i.e the router isn't trying to use 192.168.0.1) ?

It's so much easier with a modem shared through a router and no ICS though that would cost and doesn't immediately help you situation :).

Muzzsjm 17:09 16 Jun 04

Its an external USB BB modem... and its this Netgear router: click here

Yokel 19:51 16 Jun 04

I see but I think my second question still applies but would have been better phrased as 'If so is the DHCP service on the router switched off to make sure that the router isn't also trying to use 192.168.0.1 as well as the ICS host PC ?

Having now actually read the last sentence of you first post about the SparkCom modem cum router - presumably you are using that in the simple non-ICS configuration when you still have the problem.

Come to think of it have I wrongly assumed that by the title Internet Connection Sharing you do mean Windows ICS, though if the PC has grabbed 192.168.0.1 it seems likely.

Irishman 20:33 16 Jun 04

If nothing else works try click here

vinnyo123 01:44 17 Jun 04

try using router and give it another IP 192.168.1.1 change PC's to 2&3 and clone the MAC of the main PC and make router optain IP aoutmatically from ISP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…