Internet connection problems

SGBowen 14:33 19 Jan 03
  SGBowen 14:33 19 Jan 03

I have messed something up by trying to install Internet Connection Sharing and then trying to undo it and get back to where I was. The result is: (1) I can connect to the internet, but when I try to send & receive e-mails using Outlook 2000, it cannot find my mail server. This is the same with different ISPs. Then it reports a problem with mapisp32, and Outlook locks up. (2) When I try to open a web page with Internet Explorer, it fails, and makes Explorer crash.
Can anybody help with a diagnosis? I'm on Windows 98.

Gongoozler 14:46 19 Jan 03

Hi SGBowen, this site has information on some problems with mapisp32.
click here

SGBowen 09:40 21 Jan 03

Tried the suggestions in the above link, but it doesn't seem to have done the trick. The symptoms are: (1) I can connect to the internet, and have tried with different ISPs. (2) But when I try to collect emails, it cannot find my mail server. (There is nothing wrong with the mail servers - I have reached them on a different PC). (3) This happens with a programme I use called Mailwasher, which enables you to look at your emails before you download them. (4) It also happens with Outlook 2000, which then produces a message about mapisp32 and locks up. (5) When I try to open a webpage with IE6, it makes Explorer crash. As IE6 opens it says down at the bottom "Detecting proxy settings" which I don't recall seeing before. Does any of this ring any bells with anyone?

SGBowen 11:24 25 Jan 03

Isn't there anybody out there with any ideas on this one???

rickf 11:37 25 Jan 03

Have you tried resetting outlook 2000 top the correct settings. Might have changed in your attempt to set up internet connection sharing. It shouldn't but have known to happen.

smcarlsen 12:18 25 Jan 03

In IE, what are the settings in tools, internet options, connections and LAN settings? Sounds like IE is trying to find a web proxy somehow, maybe that is something to do with the internet sharing you were trying to set up. I take it everything worked ok prior to attempting to share your internet connection.

SGBowen 12:38 26 Jan 03

Thanks for these suggestions, but it hasn't done the trick. I have re-installed Windows98 over the top, and that hasn't helped; I have re-installed and uninstalled Internet Connection Sharing, but my curretn theory is that something is worng in the registry. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for?

buzzbomb 15:58 26 Jan 03

try switching off your firewall iff u change settings it may not allow out connection enable web connection and switch back on

SGBowen 10:44 30 Jan 03

Thanks for the suggestion but I didn't have a firewall in operation. Any more ideas?

MalcSP 11:02 30 Jan 03

In Internet Options from your control panel. In connections set never dial. go to LAN connections. If proxy server is ticked, clear it and the address and port. go back and set dial my default connection. I might be way off but it'll do no harm and may do some good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…