Internet Connection problems

darleydame 12:46 05 Dec 09

I am not compute literate so apalogies if I do not make myself very clear!
I have a desk top and a laptop both running WindowsXP, one is connected via a cable the laptop is connected wirelessly to a Buffalo WBMR-G125. The problem I have is I can get both to connect to the internet but if I disconnect or leave the computer I come back to find that although I can enable the network connection it will not connect to my server so I cannot access emails or web pages. This happens to both computers once one wont connect the other wont either.
I try switching the router off at the plug and reconnecting after a while but this doesnt always work. Rebooting the computer works sometimes but last night it went off and still would not reconnect this morning. So I reconnected my old modem and managed to get back on, then the laptop connected again. I use Tiscali and they didnt report any problems overnight.
Any suggestions as to why but no replies in computer speak please!!!

ambra4 13:39 05 Dec 09

Check that the Lan & Wireless card is set up correct

Right click on Local / Wireless Connection Display Icon in the task bar

Click Status – General -Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan / Wireless card will be displayed

Click Configure – Click - Advanced Tab

Click- Connection Type - “Auto- Negotiation”

Click Power Management Tab

Un-Tick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…