Internet Connection problems

osben 10:19 11 Apr 05

Hi

I connect to the internet on Broadband via a BT Voyager 100 Modem Operating system is XP sp2 fully updated.
Security is Sygate firewall, AdAware SE Pro,SpyWare Blaster, AVG Antivirus.

For some time now I have noticed that when I click on the Internet Explorer Icon on my desk top to go online it takes ages for me to get a connection. When I weas on 56k dial up it seemed a lot quicker.

The first thing to come up is the usual "Internet Connection" screen which is part of the operating system. Sometimes I start to get a connection straight away but mostly it stays at that point with all the details "greyed" out for probably a couple of minutes and then starts connecting to the internet. Sometimes it just will not go further and I have to close the "Internet Connection" screen down and start again.

I feel that there must be something wrong with my settings but I don't know what.

Hope the above makes sense. can anyone offer any reasons.

Regards

Taff36 10:23 11 Apr 05

Who`s Broadband are you using?

ACOLYTE 10:48 11 Apr 05

Have you tried connecting before opening IE,also make sure IE has access rights to the net in sygate,you should be able to connect from the connect to menu in the start all programs group click this and then you internet conection.Also make sure that your connection is set as default in IE options and that always dial my default connection is ticked.

osben 11:30 11 Apr 05

Hi Guys

Thanks for your quick response.

Taff36 - I am using F9/plusnet

Acolyte - not quite sure what you mean by "connecting before opening IE" To get a connection, I click on the IE Icon I have on the dessktop and that then opens up and goes straight to F9 home page as I set it up.

What do you mean by "make sure IE has access rights to the net in sygate" Am I wrong in thinking that since Sygate allows the connection to go through anyway then IE must have access rights to the net? Sygate gives the option of Blocking - Ask - Allow. If it was blocked then surley I would just not get through anytime.

Dial my default connection is ticked.

I can connect in start all programs group as you suggest.

ACOLYTE 11:35 11 Apr 05

You should be able to connect to the net without opening any programs that require a connection,this is what i meant by connecting before opening IE,sorry should have been more clearer as for sygate allowing the connection yes it will but if it is blocking port 80 then no pages will show,but as you say you have connected before i guess it isnt,lol.

wobblymike 11:42 11 Apr 05

osben

Hi

As I understand it - the proper way to connect to broadband is to do so via the ISP connection Icon which should be on your desktop and then after Connection click IE to bring up your home page, thats how it works on all the BB installations I have been involved with. A point from above - "always dial my default connection" should not make any difference for BB (at least in my experience)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…