Internet connection problems.

The Kestrel 19:06 10 Sep 04

I have a broadband connection via Pipex to two desktop computers using a netgear wireless modem/router. My desktop is connected by cable and the second computer, my wife's, via a wireless link.

The problem only applies to my computer, which runs Windows XP Home (SP2 not yet installed). If the computer has stood unused for a hour or so, left switched on and the internet connection running, when I try to check either my emails (outlook express) or open my home page (Yahoo), the computer fails to make a connection to either.

I have checked the status of the modem connection, which is OK. My wife's computer, connected via wireless link, is still able to connect to both email and home page. The only way I seem able to reconnect my computer to the internet is by restarting the computer.

Is there something happening to my internet settings whilst the computer is running, but not being used, that causes this problem to occur. Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully received.

stalion 21:46 10 Sep 04

bretsky 21:57 10 Sep 04

Do you have a firewall that 'locks' if your pc is left unattended for long periods?

Check all firewall settings.

bretsky ;0)

The Kestrel 22:16 10 Sep 04

I am running Zonealarm firewall plus, AVG antivirus, Spywareblaster and Spybot. Would this combination cause any problems?

bretsky 23:18 10 Sep 04

I am not familiar with AVG, I use on a single pc Z/A free version and it does have a 'lock' setting if a pc is left unattended for long periods.

bretsky ;0)

The Kestrel 09:01 11 Sep 04

I have checked Zonealarm and the auto lock optio is awitched off. Any other ideas please?

spanneress 09:06 11 Sep 04

Kestrel, until you get to the bottom of the prolem, my advice would be to disable the firewall on your pc and see if the problem persists..I am assuming you have a builtin hardware firewall in your router? I have the same combinationon one of my laptops with no problem..whih version of zonealarm is it?

The Kestrel 11:41 11 Sep 04

Hi thanks for your suggestion. I have the free version of Zonealarm My modem/router is a netgear DG834G which I believe has a built in firewall.

I have just returned home from a couple of hours shopping with the wife, the computer and modem have been running throughout. When I double clicked on internet explorer the bottom tool bar says Detecting proxy settings, then connecting to Yahoo after a while, and then after some time I finally get the cannot connect to server message. With Outlook express, I get the message unable to connect to server. Perhaps this may help someone to solve my problem.

spanneress 12:00 11 Sep 04

Were they running throughout because you disabled the firewall or regardless of that? If your wifes' PC connection is ok, and yours starts ok then you can eliminate any connection problems. Look at what is on your system that is not on your wifes'. Compare the settings on the machines. It *has* to be a configuration setting logically as you *have* access to the web, hers stays connected and yours does not. Not a lot of help I'm afraid but have been looking at my settings to see if there is aything I can identify...

spanneress 12:07 11 Sep 04

read this click here

spanneress 12:09 11 Sep 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…