Internet connection problem windows 7

KirstyK 18:52 PM 19 Aug 12

I am unable to connect to the internet from my computer; it says 'No internet access'. Other devices are OK, so I know the hub is OK (Virgin media broadband. Has anyone got any ideas? It says 'can't communicate with primary DNS server.' It suddenly stopped working. I was using it fine yesterday on facebook and was not doing anything unusual with it.

Nontek 18:54 PM 19 Aug 12

Try a System Restore back to when it was working ok.

KirstyK 19:30 PM 19 Aug 12

Thanks, but would appreciate an alternative solution without having to do a restore, as no full back up done as lack of space on buffalo drive. It says 'dns server not connected' even when use ethernet cable.

onthelimit1 19:59 PM 19 Aug 12

System restore does not delete any of your data (unlike a full restore).

onthelimit1 20:00 PM 19 Aug 12

Try the advice on this link

Woolwell 22:58 PM 19 Aug 12

Jock1e - already stated has tried with ethernet cable.

Try flushing ips - Start - cmd in search box - select cmd then in the box ipconfig /flushdns

Woolwell 10:43 AM 20 Aug 12

192.168.0.1 is the access to the router and should work without internet connection. If it doesn't then it means that the PC is failing to "talk" to the router and there could be a number of reasons for that.

Other devices are working ok indicates that it may not be a problem with the router. Try re-booting router.

No reply now for over 12 hours so perhaps problem is solved.

c4rm0 22:59 PM 20 Aug 12

Can you do a ipconfig /all for me via the command prompt and post the results.

Also why not use Google's DNS servers instead of virginmedia's i always use it when virgins are playing up

go into your TCP/IPv4 properties of your Local area connection and change the primary and secondary DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. once done do a ipconfig /flushdns to flush your dns cache

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…